1/27/18 Fort Pickens - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing Reports
Register Fishing Photos FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Advertise

Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By CalvinandHobbes

Old 01-29-2018, 12:42 PM   #1
Snapper

Default 1/27/18 Fort Pickens

Decided to go out to Fort Pickens and try some surf fishing. I got out to the beach and looked and the surf and the waves were kicking up hard. I told my wife I dont even think I can get my line to stay out there a minute before it gets washed up[on the shore.
So we head to the end of Fort Pickens and settle on trying to fish near the rocks for some sheepshead or whatever may come along. Stayed there about an hour with not much luck except for a puffer fish my wife caught which was quickly stolen by a blue heron and I tried to release it to safety. He couldn't get himself deflated fast enough. Since we weren't catching nothing we decided to go check the surf one more time.
The surf still looked rough but a little better than before. I loaded up my little pomp rig with about 9 0z of lead and sent it out. Had some fresh dead shrimp on one hook and fish bites on the other. The surf was so rough it was hard to keep shrimp on the hook with the waves pounding it over and over. About an hour later the pole slowly pulls over and line is coming off the reel.
I must of walked half a mile down the beach fighting this fish with the drag set real loose. I knew it was something big and I knew my tackle was not enough for whatever I had hooked up on. About 20 minutes later this big ugly appears in the surf and grounds out in the sand. As soon as he got stuck in the sand the hook pulled and I yelled to the wife to go stick your hand in his mouth and grab him. Luckily she did without hesitation and dragged him about 10 feet up before a good wave made her loose balance and he was loose again.
I jump in the surf as well with my jeans and boots on and get completely soaked after eating a wave but manage to secure the fish so we could get a picture. So here it is my biggest black drum so far. Had a blast catching this one and I didn't get skunked. Also attached are a before and after picture of the hook that barely made it.
Attached Thumbnails
1/27/18 Fort Pickens-26646-min-jpg   1/27/18 Fort Pickens-26645-min-jpg   1/27/18 Fort Pickens-20180128_161919-min-jpg   1/27/18 Fort Pickens-20180128_161926-min-jpg  
CalvinandHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Nice one ! I think that you used up all the good in that hook.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 04:49 PM   #3
Make it a Grady Day.
White Marlin

pretty work for sure on that drum.
thanks for sharing & catch 'em up.
DAWGONIT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #4
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Yeah buddy, looks like a good time! Those big uglies can really pull when they want to!
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2018, 09:57 PM   #5
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Nice going Ben!!! Keep it up brother!

Back in the game!!! 1856 ALWELD w/ a 70 Yammy!!!

Philippians 1:2121
For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #6
Trigger

Glad to see somebody has the backbone and persistence to fish these days. Good job.

I'm still waiting for better weather!

Chechem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2018, 09:36 AM   #7
Snapper

Thanks! It wasn't that bad out there weather wise, but we did leave right before the rain hit. That hook has since been retired! He definitely had some pull to him, I dont think he knew he was even hooked for a while.
CalvinandHobbes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in