Would this work? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Would this work?

I don't see why it wouldn't, but then again I've never tried it either.

I am looking for a way to keep my bait alive longer than 10 minutes out of the water. I am considering making something similar to this: http://baitbaskets.com/

I'd tie off an anchor to the bottom and put a buoy on top just for good measure. Walk it out into the surf aways and have a place to put my whitebait/ladyfish/mullet/etc. Hopefully keep my bait alive and kickin for a few days.

Any thoughts?
so_ill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

By surf, do you mean some where out in the Gulf? And by a few days, do you mean leaving it out unattended?

I wont comment on the legalities of it as I have no clue but I will tell you that if you leave it unattended it probably wont be yours long before some one posts on here that they foud a cool bait pin at the beach.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2012, 11:39 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Yes, the gulf.

Not sure if it's legal or not, although I don't see much difference between it and a crabtrap, which is legal with a buoy attached (I think).

As long as I had fish in there I would leave it out. I am only down there a few weeks a year, and I pretty well fish from sun-up til sundown while I'm there, so it would only be left unattended at night.

The old-timer that lives on the beach puts his crab trap out often, and has never mentioned a problem with theft.
so_ill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
Trigger

I was thinking of something like that myself, but more for my boat, since i don't have a livewell. Here's what I was thinking: get some thin pvc pipes (8 pieces) stick 4 and 4 together to make top and bottom, attach parts of my ripped castnet to it including a lid you can open. Then drill holes in the bottom 4 pipes so they can fill with water, add a little of lead to it so it
will swimm nicely on top of the water. And then have it swimming on the side of the boat while anchord. I think something like that should be farely easy to make.
Yeah, i see you losing that net/basket pretty soon if you leave it off the beach.... Sharks, current, waves, tides,... Unless maybe you would anchor it down with something big.
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 02:47 PM   #5
Trigger

"...attach parts of my ripped castnet to it including a lid you can open. "

IMHO, anywhere near the intracoastal canal or in or near any bay = otter block party. Your net won't last a day. They are smarter than the average bear, and stronger, too.

Hope this helps,

BT
biminitwist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by biminitwist View Post
"...attach parts of my ripped castnet to it including a lid you can open. "

IMHO, anywhere near the intracoastal canal or in or near any bay = otter block party. Your net won't last a day. They are smarter than the average bear, and stronger, too.

Hope this helps,

BT
naaah, i was gonna use it next to the boat, to keep my bait fresh, not leave it overnight
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in