Where did I screw up - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 10-06-2019, 10:35 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Where did I screw up

So I had a post a couple of weeks ago about surf fishing and my trip has came and gone. I learned a lot while down there caught tons of fish. Ever night I went down to the beach in hopes of hanging a shark, on the first night I caught some hard heads on sandfleas then used the cats as bait. It wasn’t 15 minutes and I had a little shark on the beach. The next night same thing hooked a cat used it as bait 25-30 minutes later my reel went screaming. As I tightened down on the drag I lifted the rod and the line went slack. When I got it in my line was broken. The setup was 18inches of steel leader, 250 swivel, 7 foot of 80lb mono, then 65lb braid. The line looked fraid with about 4 inches of mono left above the break, my question is was my mono to light or steel leader to short. Thank you
SirRedMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 10:43 PM   #2
eating tasty
White Marlin

Your steel leader should be at least as long as the shark you intend on catching. You probably got tail whipped and cut off. You had enough steel for their teeth, but not their sandpaper body. Realtor (a professional shark fisherman) can hopefully corroborate this, or add how he sets his up.
Catchemall likes this.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-06-2019, 11:06 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Its possible you got tail whipped but IME, granted I dont target MONSTER sharks, your average shark wont tail whip you. I cant ever think of one ever tail whipping me on countless charters and I run about 2-3' of 125lb seven strand, circle hook, and 80lb mono wind on and have landed several "average" sized blacktips, spinners, bulls, duskys, sandbars, etc.

Is it possible? Absolutely, and If I was exclusively targeting true giants I would run a heavier windon. I am just saying Ive never personally experienced that.

850-810-2548

http://www.facebook.com/bitebackcharters/

www.bitebackfishingcharters.com
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #4
Grand Slam

you're fine with a4-6 foot steel leader, but follow that with a 15 Ft 250 Lb wind-on leader. that will eliminate the majority of the tail whips. I prefer floro over the heavy mono leaders myself,. get a quality crimping tool as well as crimps. You don't need a large hook, like some think, or you will see some jerks with multi hook set ups. this crap does nothing but damage the shark, and gut hook the animal....the larger the hook, more damage to the shark. I use a single 13/0 circle hook, caught hundreds and hundreds of sharks over the past 15 years. the terminal tackle will serve you well. go fishing, soak those baits.... time is key. the next one may be 4 Ft, or 12 Ft... who knows... oh, I use 50 LB main line on the reel. does well and just remember your reel is a line storage device,not a winch... use the drag.... thats what its there for....
KPTN likes this.
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 10:04 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for all the replies. I do have a question though how do you cast that much line. I didn’t have a kayak and had to wade out then cast.
Old 10-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #6
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRedMan View Post
Thanks for all the replies. I do have a question though how do you cast that much line. I didnít have a kayak and had to wade out then cast.
thats a problem, getting the bait out..... float on a north wind, close to the pass get the bait in the current (out going tide) kayak, or I've seen people use a drone (I have a splash drone 3) I have also seen people paddle them out on a surf board, I dont recommend that, but, shark fishermen are a pretty creative bunch.... thats an issue, but hook up with other beach sharkers with yaks and that sort...
Realtor is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
Sailfish

i hate to catch something i can't take home to eat. i usually just hand it off to my younger friends to fight the beast. lately, though, when somebody posted that he caught an 80 lb. aj, thought it was a shark. that got me to thinking, maybe i should fight it. me and ed(submariner) hauled in a 65 in. aj at the 255 bout ten years ago and i kept saying it was a shark. since then, i have learned to tell the difference.

jack
Old 10-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

What about distance? I’ve heard you aren’t gonna do any good unless you get it past the second bar, while other people say that they cruise around the first. Is this a size thing, seasonal or is it just flat out wrong? Oh and you spoke about hook size, I just used a single 8/0 hook I don’t know if that was unsized.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:38 AM   #9
Grand Slam

I have never heard of using catfish for bait for anything. I didn’t know anything Would eat them. I know they don’t make good bait for crabs. Crabs won’t eat them.
Old 10-07-2019, 12:28 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

The sharks didn’t seem to mind but it could’ve been dumb luck cause I got skunked the last two nights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in