When are Sand fleas to big?? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-26-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
Trigger

Default When are Sand fleas to big??

I found the biggest group of sand fleas that I have personally ever seen (and thats not saying much). Every other rake was producing one or two very large fleas about the size of my thumb, and a few slightly smaller than my big toe. Two of them were females with their roe about ready to hatch with the bright orange eggs showing. I know these are normally PRIMO pompano bait. My concern was the size of the flea compared to the small mouth of the pompano... especially for this season having lots of smaller pomps. I used it, but to no avail. Fishing was slow anyway, but when are fleas to big to use? Im sure a red fish would eat it no problem, but Im more wondering about pompano. Thanks in advance!

bigtallluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2013, 10:47 PM   #2
Mingo

There r stud pomps out there, that will eat those I have never seen one TOO big to use
Sea Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
Grand Slam

Get about 50 of those that size and deep fry them with garlic and corn meal,Yummy yummy
sealark is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 06:38 AM   #4
Grand Slam

Actually, what you have there is the most desired Sand Flea. Big n Full. That orange (Eggs)sure draws them in.

You know the saying, The bigger the bait, the bigger the fish!!

Hook that puppy, cast it, and hang on!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
Grouper

By no means an expert but from my experience in fishing you gotta remember that Elephants Eat Peanuts.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Default Sand Flea: Size DOES Matter, Tested over the years.

With all due respect to the previous responses, in my 15 years of targeting pompano from Walton County to Pensacola Beach, I personally have tested the: 'what size sand flea does a pompano prefer?'

My unofficially, unpublished testing results over that period lend me to believe that Medium Size fleas are the size of choice. Not the thumbnail size, 50mm x 25mm wide stud fleas in yolur pic.

Why? For the reason you speculated: Mouth size. Pomps hits once, they don't nibble bait. They see-smell, target, open, inhale and intake the bait in one action. 'If the flea don't fit, you won't check ****'.

Roe is good. Ever notice how the prefabbed 'kingfish' or 'pompano rigs' with double hooks rigs have the bright orange ball 'float' near one of the hooks? That's by design to emulate the sand flea roe color. Fat fleas with roe are good, but not the as most important. My 'testing' while fishing included using yhe dual hook rigs, placing a fat flea (with roe or not) on the orange ball hook, and a small to medium flea on the opposing hook. And rig variations. 90% of the pomps landed in those years were on the hook with the small to medium size flea. The large flea 'shell' was usually still on the opposing hook, just hanging on during the 'fight', as if it was ignored during the hit. Good question. I had wondered they same and offer my two cents.
Eric in Navarre.

Last edited by NightMare07; 04-27-2013 at 09:13 AM.
NightMare07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
Blue Marlin

Great Response Eric...
Snagged Line is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Trigger

Very good responses!! Thank you guys for sharing your knowledge and opinions. I will use these responses to firm up my own opinions and thoughts. That's what makes us all have our own style of fishing and thought process. Thanks again for everyone sharing!!
bigtallluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
Mingo

Default Size

I never go fishing thinking I just want to catch one type of fish and nothing else. I believe no one could list all the different kinds of fish that have been caught on fleas. If your fishing with one rod with one hook then you target what you came for. I usually fish with 4-6 rods in the surf. If I find a very large flea he is going swimming on one of the rods.

Last edited by Boliver T Wheelock; 04-27-2013 at 02:29 PM.
Boliver T Wheelock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Topwater Bluefish fan
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoganMan View Post
By no means an expert but from my experience in fishing you gotta remember that Elephants Eat Peanuts.
and some snakes can swallow eggs 3X their diameter - what's your point ?
Baitcaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in