What weight line - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By squirrel

Old 05-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #1
Mingo

Default What weight line

I'm learning to fish the surfy, 5-10 days a year, year by year. I've been running two poles. One rigged with some 60# braid that I use to target heavier fish past the first bar. The second, I plan on fishing closer, inside the first bar this year. What weight line should I be looking at for my closer rig? Pompano and anything else that runs along is what I'll be looking to catch.
I'll be fishing double drop loops that I will be making. I plan on using the lightest weight possible, perhaps 1 or 2oz pyramids?
I will be fishing off the Gulf Shores Fort Morgan area, at mile marker 3, we have a house there for 5 days. Would love to fish with someone else off the forum if anyone is around the area or close. Always looking for tips.
sq
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2015, 06:34 PM   #2
White Marlin

I run 15lb on my light inside the bar rod. Anything around 10-20 should be fine. If would go as light as possible unless you are getting broken off, then I would move up towards the 20.

For the bigger rod, I would lose the braid or at least put 100yards of so of mono as a topshot. When you have your line out, there is a bow in the line where it lays on the bottom. The wave action with the line laying on the sand will wear it much faster than mono. I'm a braid guy for EVERYTHING, except my surf rods and my King Mackerel trolling rods (you need the stretch as a shock absorber). I use 25lb for the outside the bar rod.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #3
Your mom's a
Grand Slam

Your braid is fine, just add a long leader. And 15-20 on the smaller rod will do you fine. Use fluorocarbon leader.
JoeZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 04:29 PM   #4
Mingo

Thans nomo and JoeZ, sounds like I need to add a fluorocarbon leader to my smaller setup. Would something like 50' be appropriate or is that way too long?
Old 05-07-2015, 08:37 PM   #5
White Marlin

You need to add the leader to your large set-up. You dont want that braid laying on the sand.

For my inside the bar set-up, I only use about 8-10ft of flouro leader. But that rod is set up close enough to shore that the line is not laying on the seafloor.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:22 AM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSurf View Post
You need to add the leader to your large set-up. You dont want that braid laying on the sand.

For my inside the bar set-up, I only use about 8-10ft of flouro leader. But that rod is set up close enough to shore that the line is not laying on the seafloor.
Ok I'll do that this weekend. We leave Friday morning at 3am. I plan on being on the beach before noon, and lines wet within fifteen minutes, next week!
Old 05-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #7
White Marlin

You suck!!! haha
I wont be down for a few weeks. It's KILLIN me!!!
Old 05-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Mingo

Quote:
You suck!!! haha
I'm sure they'll be some left when I leave. We're going to work for some sharks and anything else that bites. Also have two charter trips planned. Going to be a blast. I love fishing the ocean.
NoMoSurf likes this.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
Mingo

Quote:
You suck!!! haha
I'm sure they'll be some left when I leave. We're going to work for some sharks and anything else that bites. Also have two charter trips planned. Going to be a blast. I love fishing the ocean.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in