What kind of gear for big sharks? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 06-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default What kind of gear for big sharks?

What size reel/rod and line strength should I be looking to get to catch some sharks off of the beach??
Jacknabox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
Grouper

Depends on what big is.

4/0 reel, 30# line minimum will catch something you'd be happy to get your pic taken with.
Joraca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2015, 04:17 PM   #3
Trigger

^^ what he said. Depends on what your definition of big is. Sharks around here range anywhere from 1ft-13ft.
1-3ft = most spinning tackle in the 5000-6000(30 lbs line) size reel can handle it
3-6ft = i would reccomend a 4/0 or 6/0 conventional (40-60lbs line)
6ft+ = 9/0 or bigger. (60+lbs line)

Im no expert though. Only caught two 5 ft sandbar sharks on my 9/0. That thing was like a winch on those fish.
ranger250x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2015, 04:42 PM   #4
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Casted rigs on Spinning gear, nothing smaller than 8K.

I use older Penn 9500SS reels with improved drags & stainless double dogs with 15 tooth ratchets.
They're spooled with 300 yards of 65# braid & topped with 50# mono. I use X-Heavy 12' rods.
Rod 7-12', you'll get better leverage with a shorter rod, but give up some casting distance.
These are intended for small/medium sharks up to 6' or so.

For yakked baits, I would not recommend anything smaller than a 6/0, and would recommend the 6/0 wide.
I fish a Penn 6/0wide (50# mono) & a Penn 9/0 (130# braid topped with 80# mono) that are heavily modified with improved drags, stainless high ratio gears, double dogged and stainless internal/external parts.
I also fish a stock Penn 12/0 spooled with 1000 yards of 100# mono.
These are on 5'6", Heavy, stand-up boat rods.
These are the big fish rods, anything over 6'.
I've caught 6-9' sharks on the 6/0 & 9/0, and over 11' on the 12/0.
The 8'+ Scalloped Hammer in my avatar was caught on my 6/0.

If you are targeting BIG sharks, doing LONG drops with BIG baits and aiming for 12' or better.
Nothing smaller than a Penn 12/0.
I would suggest going big or going home, go for a big 2 speed with plenty of drag & line capacity.
Nothing says serious like an Everol 18/0 or 20/0.
ranger250x likes this.

Last edited by ChileRelleno; 06-13-2015 at 04:50 PM.
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

He's right! Everol 18/0 or 20/0 will definitely catch you a shark!

My buddies and I use nothing smaller than 9/0 with 100lb braid topped with 100 yards of 80lb mono... that's our smallest setup. A nice 9/0 Senator or a Squall 50W, they are the lowest I would go personally if you have a kayak. If you have money to blow, Avet 50W will work wonders out on the beach too!
Diablogod269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #6
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablogod269 View Post
He's right! Everol 18/0 or 20/0 will definitely catch you a shark!

My buddies and I use nothing smaller than 9/0 with 100lb braid topped with 100 yards of 80lb mono... that's our smallest setup. A nice 9/0 Senator or a Squall 50W, they are the lowest I would go personally if you have a kayak. If you have money to blow, Avet 50W will work wonders out on the beach too!
Never had an issue with my Avet 30w from the beach, including multiple shark over 10'.
Quackjn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackjn View Post
Never had an issue with my Avet 30w from the beach, including multiple shark over 10'.
You really can't go wrong with Avet in general...

They're the favorite among myself and my team!
Diablogod269 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I know It's been a month since I asked this..Been busy and forgot I posted! I'm kind of thinking I'll just go with the 6/0 wide senator. However, I can get the senator 9/0 for basically the same price. Any reasons to go with one over the other?? Will strictly be for sharking off the beach for now, as I don't have a boat lol
Jacknabox is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 12:36 PM   #9
Constitution Conservative
Sailfish

Always go big with sharks, more line & more drag equal more of a chance when you hook a big'un.

6/0w is the minimum for sharking in my opinion.
The one thing about the 6/0w is that with practice you can easily cast with it, a big plus on a day too rough or without a yak to paddle out.

9/0 is better overall for yakked baits, more drag & line capacity.

If you are going to shark regularly and yak baits out, save a few more bucks and get 12/0.
ChileRelleno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2015, 12:54 PM   #10
Snapper

9/0 minimum for big sharks, 12/0 or bigger if you really want to get after them. I've got a 16/0 with 130lb dacron with a 130lb mono topshot. When we used to be REALLY serious about it I had a thousand or so yards of super braid backing, to dacron, to mono topshot. With that setup you could yak the baits out as far as you wanted to go in the yak.

For us, the bigger reels were more about line capacity to be able to yak the baits out further more so than fighting capacity. With 100lb ++ line you can crank the drag down and horse them if you need to. If you want a fight out of a smaller fish, just loosen the drag and let them scream. Nobody says you have to have the drag cranked down all the time.... but it sure is nice to use when you need it!

Funny story on my 16/0.. Bought it when I was in college, special ordered it from a tackle shop locally... Only ordered, and paid for a 12/0... bout crapped my pants when the box came in and it was a 16/0 The guy at the store said 'i can send it back and get a 12/0 for you instead' lol, NOT!!!

I would imagine you could get a used 12/0 or bigger, with rod (and hopefully line) for about the same price as a new 9/0 setup. You can easily replace the drag washers, other than that the reels are fairly bulletproof if taken care of.

Last edited by rustybucket; 07-22-2015 at 12:56 PM.
rustybucket is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in