Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

What can be caught from the beach?

6K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  gbliz 
#1 ·
I am pretty new to the area/saltwater and will be here for a couple more months. I was wondering what can be caught from the beach, throwing a lure? Especially now, that I have been seeing schools of mullet.

Thanks

#3 ·
Awesome, thank you. Is it better to walk the beach and cover lots of ground making lots of casts? Or better to walk out in the water and cast? Also with all these mullet running around, is there anything close to the beach chasing them, other than what was listed above?

#4 ·
yes, the large jack crevalles and king mackerel will run the mullet right up to the beach. They can be caught by a freelined finger mullet, hardtail, or cigar minnow. My favorite method of working the beach is making a few casts then walking down the beach, moving about 15 feet each time. You can also wade out but i have found that most of the time it doesnt make much of a difference unless there is a visible "trough" with in wading range. That "trough" will often times hold pompano, reds, and sharks

#5 ·
Thanks for all the tips, now I'm getting way too anxious for the weekend. What exactly are you talking about for free lining? Putting a live mullet on with no weight and letting him swim around? And what is a good way to catch the mullet?

Thanks

#6 ·
You cant catch mullet with rod and reel. Mullett are vegetarians they eat algee weeds and other small non meat items. The locals catch mullet with nets. Just use the suggestions above for plenty to catch.

#8 ·
mullet will definately go after a dough ball. open a can of biscuit.
let it sit for a day or two. wad it up on a treble. cast right beside the school. sure catch and be ready for a fight. 20+ lb. test.

jack

#14 ·
Does anyone know what a out of state fishing license cost?? oklahoma city here.. coming the first week in march,,, also wondering what can be caught surf fishing?

The Pompano maybe running by then, but you will catch fish.

Non-Resident Saltwater Fishing License
<LI id=jsArticleStep1 itxtvisited="1">For those who wish to enjoy saltwater fishing during their stay, annual saltwater fishing licenses can be purchased for $47.00 as of 2010. A three-day saltwater fishing license costs $17.00 and a seven-day license is $30.00.

Read more: Out of State Fishing License Fees for Florida | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_6645097_out-fishing-license-fees-florida.html#ixzz1BPai2knb

#15 ·
If I were you, I would stay at Fort Pickens State Park. This will position you with an option of fishing the Gulf of Mexico surf / beach, or the sound side, and the pier at the Fort, all good producers of fish. When you get close, and drive through Gulf Breeze, stop at Hot Spots Bait & Tackle for the latest in "what is biting".

Here is Fort Pickens link:

http://www.nps.gov/guis/planyourvisit/campground-openings-in-florida-and-mississippi-districts.htm

Here is Hot Spots link:

http://www.hotspotstackle.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.