wanting to try surf fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default wanting to try surf fishing

Ok so I picked up a used shakespeare surf reel and want to try my hand at surf fishing. I've never done it before I've always either freshwater fished or fished from the gulf breeze fishing bridge (pre ivan). But I've see people doing it at the beach that I go to and have been thinking about trying to get setup to try it. Pretty much since I'm new to it how do I know where to cast and what rig do I use, bait etc.... sorry for all the newbie questions
mustangmike89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2015, 06:19 PM   #2
White Marlin

Read this:

https://www.pensacolafishingforum.com...ad-surf-65252/

And remember, the biggest or most fish will not usually be as far as you can cast. I've caught some of the biggest 5ft from the land. Right where the surf skim runs right back into the water.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 01:02 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

Thanks for the reply, I've read that post a couple of times (dislexia had it not making sense) and I think I know where to cast now. But what rigging should I use? I normally fish with the walmart double hook rigs but in another post on here people are saying to use a Carolina style rig. I don't fish with live bait, will a Carolina rig work with shrimp and cut bait also?
mustangmike89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2015, 02:34 PM   #4
Surf Beast
Ruby Red Lip

Hi,

As far as rigging goes it depends on what species your targeting. You can catch pompano, salt catfish, lady fish ,rays, sharks , red fish, trout, and a wide variety of others. I target pompano although i get other fish. I would get a 7 to 10ft rod and a reel atleast being 4000 which is mid to large size. I spool with 20 lb test braid. Although, braid creates more of a problem with june grass. Braid or mono works. 20lb test is good for any of the most ubundent fish. Use a mono two hook liter with a 3 oz pyramid weight. If the surf is very rough you will need more weight. Use shrimp preferably fresh shrimp but frozen will do. Sand fleas will also do well and allow you to catch more pompano vs trash fish. To determine were to fish you have to read the surf. You examine the breaking waves and the water color to try to get your line in the deep water inbetween the beach and the sandbar. Do not fish on a sand bar. Thats how i would start off. Hope that helps.
Bebee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2015, 03:42 PM   #5
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

I would start out by getting another reel. I used to use those Shakespeare reels. They will rust up and seize in only a few times out. Penn Fierce or Cabela's salt striker is a good place to start.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:19 PM   #6
White Marlin

I second that opinion on the Penn Fierce. I love mine. I have a 4000 and a 5000.

As for the Walmart leaders. LOSE THOSE!!!!! They scare many of the species that you will want to target, but they do not seem to scare hardhead cats at all. Watch dehooking those, they are toxic. Many will say ti is bacteria on the spines, but it has be shown that they also have a mild venom. I got stuck in the side of the foot 3 years ago. It is healed, but still hurts occasionally.

As for the rig. Make your own from Flourocarbon leader material.
Go buy:
15-30lb Flourocarbon leader (not line, it is different. Leader is more stiff)
bag of 20-30lb swivels
bag of 20-30lb snap swivels
bag of 1/0 circle hooks

Strip of about 2-2.5ft for a single hook rig or 3-3.5ft for a double rig. Tie a snap swivel at the bottom for your weight and a regular swivel at thetop to attach to your line. Then tie in 1 or 2 dropper loops to attach your hooks. You can hand tie the loops or tie them on a dropper board. There are great youtube vids for both.

The rigs that I use are 10lb flouro with 10-15lb swivels. I lightly (VERY lightly) spray paint my swivels with light tan spray paint and use 2oz weights. These rigs are alot harder to tie and harder to cast as well. The light line tangles easily when tying and breaks easily when casting, but I catch more pompano on them. POmpano are sight feeders and those thick walmart leaders with the shiney crimps and swivels will scare them away. It's not to say you wont catch them, but I find that I catch more, desirable fish with the hand made leaders, and more catfish with the walmart ones.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in