Vacationing Newbie Help - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 08-23-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Vacationing Newbie Help

Hello and thanks in advance for helping a newbie saltwater angler.

I'm going to be visiting Pensacola with the in-laws next week and was hoping to get into some fish (or at least get away for a bit). I plan on hitting a tackle shop as soon as I roll into town to get some gear and information, but since things are a little slow at work today, I thought I'd try the forum as well.

I'll be between the Sound and the Beach and was thinking of fishing both throughout the trip. What is working right now? What should I avoid? What gear do I need? When should I fish? What species should I expect? Any other advice?

Again, thanks in advance for helping out!
mwosbo00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwosbo00 View Post
Hello and thanks in advance for helping a newbie saltwater angler.

I'm going to be visiting Pensacola with the in-laws next week and was hoping to get into some fish (or at least get away for a bit). I plan on hitting a tackle shop as soon as I roll into town to get some gear and information, but since things are a little slow at work today, I thought I'd try the forum as well.

I'll be between the Sound and the Beach and was thinking of fishing both throughout the trip. What is working right now? What should I avoid? What gear do I need? When should I fish? What species should I expect? Any other advice?

Again, thanks in advance for helping out!
Ill be the first to help. Well when you say beach are you staying on pensacola beach? Or near Alabama? I have been fishing Johnsons beach only since it is so near my home. Lately whiting have been the fish of choice with the occasional spanish or blue. Soaking cut bait will usually bring in a blue or spanish. Although you will have to weed through the catfish if they are out. Fresh dead shrimp that is peeled is always a good choice as well. Thats pretty much it for the surf as far as the bay a good topwater in the morning around the grass flats is always good. Live shrimp under a cork is great for trout.
txfam6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Yep, Pensacola Beach. We'll be about a mile from Portofino. Why are the catfish so unappealing? Also, any recommendations on a tackle shop near by?
mwosbo00 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
Sailfish

The catfish txfam6 mentioned are referred to as 'Hardheads' and have no table quality at all. Plus their pectoral and dorsal spines will cause some serious pain if you get poked. Sometimes requiring a trip to the ER if bad enough.

Using fresh-dead, peeled shrimp as he also stated does work well. I like Hot Spots Tackle in Gulf Breeze for their selection, knowledge and price. There is another tackle store in GB I wont mention, but prefer not to shop there.

Try a double-hook leader with maybe a 2 oz pyramid weight depending on your rod selection. Usually a medium action spinning rod with 15lb mono covers just about anything you will catch. Good luck!
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in