Tica Surf Rods? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Default Tica Surf Rods?

New guy here, but not new to fishing in and around Pensacola. I used to live in Mobile, fished Pickens a lot, and I still get down to Pensacola once or more a year.

I just picked up a couple of Penn Conquer reels (7000 and 8000) at good prices, and I am looking to pair them with some decent surf rods in the 10' to 12' and $100 to $150 ranges. I have read good things about Tica rods, especially the UGSA "Dolphin" series.

Just wondering if folks might weigh in on these rods and/or offer up good alternatives in a similar price range.
Guyon is offline   Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2015, 10:00 AM  
Cigar Minnow

Got the reels. Any rod recommendations?

Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM  
Trigger

I am not sure of the size of those 7000s, but I picked up an Okuma Solaris 12 footer for 120 on Amazon. I have a penn 550 on it, but haven't casted it yet. Reviews are five star. How often you plan to fish? I have an 11 ft St Croix mojo that is pretty phenomenal but it's a bit more money. Worth it in my opinion if you fish often.
Guynamedtom is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2015, 12:12 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Surfcasting? Only a couple times a year, most likely. However, I can use the same combos for big blue cats and channel cats where I live. Tackle and techniques are very similar. Just less salt.
Old 02-01-2015, 12:29 PM  
Sailfish

The Tica's are an excellent choice. Love those Conquer's, too! Unbelievable drag! I used 20# braid on mine and the line just flew off the spool.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2015, 02:33 PM  
Cigar Minnow

Thanks.

I see the Ticas getting high marks on striper forums. Was thinking about a 9' M rod for the 7000, and a 10' or 10'6" MH for the 8000. 9' would double as a good jetty rod, methinks.

Curious about Penn Prevails too, but my searches haven't turned up as much praise as for the Ticas.
Old 02-07-2015, 06:30 AM  
Grouper

Iam still looking for that magic rod that will really launch a 1/2oz pomp jig and work as a 2oz set rig. Tica is offering a 12' 3/4 to2oz medium action that is really tempting. The 9'1/2 to3 oz looks good too as well as the 10'6" 1to3oz.
At the prices I have seen on amazon I could get all three for less than the last rod I bought for this purpose. all three would be just a little more than the shimano surf rod I almost bought last week. Ahh so many choices.
jcallaham is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2015, 12:15 PM  
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcallaham View Post
Iam still looking for that magic rod that will really launch a 1/2oz pomp jig and work as a 2oz set rig. Tica is offering a 12' 3/4 to2oz medium action that is really tempting. The 9'1/2 to3 oz looks good too as well as the 10'6" 1to3oz.
At the prices I have seen on amazon I could get all three for less than the last rod I bought for this purpose. all three would be just a little more than the shimano surf rod I almost bought last week. Ahh so many choices.
recieved the Tica rods on Monday. my search for that really great rod will continue. These new Tica rods are very dissapionting
jcallaham is offline   Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in