Surf rod recommendation - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes

Old 03-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Surf rod recommendation

I currently have a 10' St Croix Triumph (4 oz max) and am looking to purchase a rod the throw a little more weight to a better distance. I have looked at a wide variety and am looking for some feedback for what you guys typically use surf fishing the panhandle. I have looked at the 10'6" 2-6 oz and 11' 3-8 oz mojo, a 13' Carolina rod, an 11' tfo, an 11'4" tsunami, and various penn models. Any feedback on these or suggestions for others? I appreciate the information!
Charlessyverson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
Trigger

That is a nice rod, nicer than most I see anyone use around here. It should probably cast 4oz as far as you need which more often than not seems to be less than 50 yards. My 9ft Ande tournament surf will cast a 3oz farther than my 10ft tsunami casts a 4 oz so I guess it all just depends on the rod blank. Line and technique are just as important as the rod I think. Having bought several different ones when I first moved down here a few years ago and knowing what I know now I would have bought several of the 9 foot ande rods since they are the light and easiest to cast. It get's to be overkill pretty quick when you are mostly catching 2-4lb pompano and the occasional bull red.
rlbonds likes this.
Scouticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Thank you for the reply. I am looking to be able to throw past the bar when necessary and would either like to throw up to 5 oz or go longer than my current rod. The sweet spot for my current rod is 3 oz and I just can't get it quite far enough.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:04 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

What kinda line are you using on your reels

sent from outside your bedroom window
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

30 lb braid.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:00 PM   #6
Snapper

I fish 12 foot ugly sticks! Nothing fancy or too expensive.
SurfFishingMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 10:17 AM   #7
Cigar Minnow

I have the 11' mojo surf, depending on the wind I can cast a 3 or 4oz spoon pretty damn far, but not that much farther than my 12' ugly Stik since nothing I'm throwing is that aerodynamic. It is much lighter than the ugly Stik so when I'm doing a lot of casting it's great but if I was just trying to get a big bait out to soak I'd rather use the ugly Stik since it doesn't flex as much when you're launching. If you're using a spoon or something trying to get to fish feeding out in the trough it works great though. My biggest complaint is that the upper section is close to 8' long which can be a pain when you have to transport your equipment in a car.
CrabbyChas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlessyverson View Post
Thank you for the reply. I am looking to be able to throw past the bar when necessary and would either like to throw up to 5 oz or go longer than my current rod. The sweet spot for my current rod is 3 oz and I just can't get it quite far enough.
you are about to begin a long and arduous journey. no one rod will get you to your goal.Find someone to fish with who can cast well and learn from them. Or you can do it trial and error. a 3oz weight will go a long way out when launched with good casting technique
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 06:14 PM   #9
Grouper

hey, Charles here's a mid-range setup you might be interested in.
bass pro shops 12' power stick4to 8oz weight rating. It casts well for a 130 dollar rod. Sweet spot 3or4 ounces
Pair that up with a Shimano ultegra XT-D 5500. 190 bucks. Add 40 bucks for 300yards of 15lb test braid ,20 bucks for a 150 yard spool of 30lb braid for shock leaders. A little research into casting techniques and you will be bombing baits over that sandbar in no time at all
Joraca likes this.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

That is a great recommendation. How would you compare the power stick to an ugly stik?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in