surf fishing spots? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Unhappy surf fishing spots?

Hey guys I'm a rookie when it comes to surf fishing and I am curious to see if anyone could help me out on some good spots. I mainly try to go out for pompano but the 4 times I have had zero luck on catching anything. I've been tossing sand fleas and shrimp all behind the sand bars. Any information would be greatly appreciated
-Aaron
king is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

What kind of gear are you using? When I go I like to use at least a 12' rod with either a good conventianal or a mitchel 402 or penn 706. I personaly like the Fort Pickens area. Not as crowded as free public beaches.
floridasportsman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
26' blue sea hunt
Snapper

we went sunday and got a few pomps. the guys next to me were just killing it though with the pomps. They taught me somethings I am gonna try next time. First it seems the pomps are a little further offshore right now. I think mentioned in another thread i read on here. so we were walking out to the first sand bar and then casting as far as we could. I use two 15' surf rods and two 12' surf rods. Still had to walk out to first bar. light weight tackle. I switched to 8 and 10 lb test with 2oz and 3oz weights and 2/0 circle hooks. When i did this and using sand fleas that were alive not frozen, we started catching them. Hope you figure it out because they are fun to catch and GREAT eating!
Salty Daze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2012, 01:49 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

I'm using a few different set ups. I have a 12 ft Penn power stick combined with a 6500 baitrunner and a few 10 ft ugly sticks with the older model Penn 6500ss and I keep a light rod for slinging jigs and a 7 ft Penn 5500. I spooled the bigger reels with 15 and smaller ones with 12. I try to rake fleas up but I'm only catching baby ones. So far I haven't caught anything. I go buy fresh dead shrimp fiddler's and when I can sand fleas. I been fishing behind the first batteries at pickens. I haven't had any luck. I also tie my pompano rigs with 20 mono and put an orange bead and a 2/0 hook. Works great when I can hook something
Old 04-02-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Mingo

I've had good luck over the years tying my own pompano rigs too. Like you, I use 20 lb. mono. The differences being I use no coloration on the rig such as beads. The other is hook size. I was once told to use a #2 hook (not 2/0). With a #2, you can usually hide the entire hook in a sand flea about the size of a small pecan. Worked well for me over the years. Good luck.
VA Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

I meant #2 I sometimes use a #1. I guess I can't read the surf right.

Tags
pompamo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in