Surf Casting Techniques - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-14-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
Guy
Ruby Red Lip

Default Surf Casting Techniques

I'd like to ask a question about surf casting techniques. I typically fish around the local spots such as Johnson Beach, Pcola Beach, Navarre Beach, Fort Pickens, etc... I try and just sling the [email protected]#$% out of my rod and hope I get it out far. Well, I've only managed to hit right in front of what I believe to be the first sandbar. I think I've got a rod with every type of setup known to man. Braid, no braid, big guides, little guides, lots of guides, big reels, little reels, whew!!! lol... And then I've tried the pendulum casting technique, the flat pendulum casting technique, the wading out to the sandbar technique... I guess my question is... Is there a better technique out there? And if so, what is it? Or am I casting about as far as a person can? Thanks!!!
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Snapper

Have you ever casted with a smaller convetional reel??? They cast miles further than a spinning setup... Try a smaller conventional with braid and a 10'+ rod...
penn 10/0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
Cigar Minnow

Look up tommy farmer on youtube. lots of good video on him and some of the english guys.

Stephen
Bubba Feesh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2012, 09:03 AM   #4
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn 10/0 View Post
Have you ever casted with a smaller convetional reel??? They cast miles further than a spinning setup... Try a smaller conventional with braid and a 10'+ rod...

What do you mean by "conventional' reel?
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 09:08 AM   #5
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Feesh View Post
Look up tommy farmer on youtube. lots of good video on him and some of the english guys.

Stephen
The dude is pretty fat. I imagine all that weight gives him a huge advantage in that technique.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 11:40 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn 10/0 View Post
I disagree with this statement completly,there have been threads on other forums that go on and on about this subject. If you want proof let's set up a time next weekend and I will show you what I am takin, bout.

Guy, the only way to know for sure how you are doing as a caster is to get out onto an open field when nobody is around to get hurt by a wayward piece of lead, make a few casts and measure them.
I can cast a 3oz pyramid and apiece of shrimp 98 yards out on the field.Bellive me I have spent hour after hour and and a small fortune on rods and reels, with the wind at my back it goes a little more than that,with the wind my face a lot less. I always want to put a bait over that sand bar but depending on what sand bar you are takin bout some times it just won't go. then other times it will go and you discover that there are no fish in the vicinity or you have launched your rig into a bunch of slimy little catfish.

Mat C and I usually fish Johnson beach Saturday and Sunday AM, we are both distance casting fools, well Iam anyway, come on down some time, it's fun.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Sailfish

Are you catching any fish Jim?

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
Guy
Ruby Red Lip

LoL... I can't do it this weekend of course, but how about on the morning of 21st. Just pick the letter and time and I'll be there. I wanna see this!!! I'll bring a rod and if ya don't mind, I'l like to pick up some pointers too...

It looks like he's just barely throwing it. And that's kinda a modified pendulum cast. And it don't show how far he's slinging it either.

Right now I gots a penn conguer 5000 (courtesy of pomp joe). Nice reel. And a 12ft 1-piece e-glass with big quides custom. I switched back to mono because I thought I was gonna lose my finger with braid lol...

I'm kinda doing the same type of cast as in the video and I'm hittin about 20yds short of the sandbar at JB. Which ain't bad... It might be like ya said that I just need some more practice and tweek some here and there...

Catching fish is the most important thing. I thought I alreay caught all the catfish out of JB... I swear they out number the pompano...

Last edited by Guy; 04-15-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #9
Blue Marlin

For me its not the distance, its the location. I rarely cast more than forty yards or so from the beach in my two favorite pomp holes. So far this year Ive caught at least thirty pompano including a seventeen inch fish.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-15-2012, 01:40 PM   #10
Snapper

A conventional is like a baitcaster with no levelwind... and why disagree??? Just a question, i know alvey side casts held the record for years but when i tried to cast one i couldn't outcast my conventional... But you do have to know how to cast a conventional to get any distance...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in