Specks in the surf? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree5Likes

Old 04-23-2015, 09:59 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Specks in the surf?

Looking for info on trout fishing in the surf. See them caught on the pier but never thought about targeting specks in the surf. Have you ever tried doing it from a boat or kayak? When's the best time of year to do it? How do you rig baits and what baits. Have you seen larger fish surf fishing/inshore
Rolexx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
eating tasty
White Marlin

I have never heard of/seen a speckled trout caught in the gulf around pensacola. That's not to say it's never happened, but I don't think it's common here. I have occasionally caught them at Ft. Pickens, soundside, but most people fish for them in the bays, bayous and river mouths here.

Someone with more trout fishing experience than I will probably chime in.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #3
Trigger

Gulf shores pier catches nice one during the day and at night. That's just what has me thinking about it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2015, 11:01 PM   #4
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

I tore them and spanish up in Fort Morgan last June from the beach and on my kayak about 100 yards out.
Old 04-23-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
Trigger

Any size to them?
Old 04-23-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

If your asking me I had a Spanish from my kayak that I thought was a king until I got it in the boat. Trout were all keepers except a very few.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Trigger

I've heard people catching specks on dixie bar off of fort morgan. I'm looking for the big specks
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM   #8
Squid technician
Grand Slam

There are a lot of big specks in the surf off the beaches in Alabama but they can be very finicky fish. I target them a lot from now to mid June and then pick back up on them in the fall until they retreat into the inland waters.

Ft Morgan has always been a very good place to target them and you can catch big numbers there, but you can also fish them on most beachfronts if you know where to look. My favorite way to target them is by walking the beaches in the morning and fishing topwaters, large twitchbaits or lightly weighted jerkbaits. If conditions are right you can sight cast them in the troughs close to the waterline. This is generally a low-light fishery but is very well worth hitting the sand before sunrise. Some mornings you can find them in larger groups nearshore but I like to find the smaller groups, pairs and single fish. These will generally be the trophies. It's definitely a quality VS quantity style of fishing, but I'd rather catch one big fish than 10 schoolies. I've taken several fish over 9lbs in the surf fishing this way (almost all released). You should give it a try
a, catdad100, wtbfishin and 2 others like this.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
Trigger

That's the kinda info I was looking for. I'm all about trying to catch the fish you'll remember forever. Not so much looking for numbers. Have you tried live bait in the surf? My idea is to launch my kayak and just slow drift around the sand bars when the swells are do able
Old 04-24-2015, 12:16 PM   #10
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Live bait will work of course, but it does two things that I see as negatives:

1) Limits my ability to keep moving and cover water as quickly (I'm usually on foot for this type of fishing).

2) Increases my likelihood of unwanted bycatch.

Of course you will get bycatch with lures as well, but theres no need in re-baiting, grabbing another bait, carrying a bucket, etc, etc. In the kayak I suppose live bait will be fine, but just like fishing some flats, the kayak will take away from visibility and being able to hold a particular position with surf moving you around. There isn't going to be a ton of days where the surf is going to allow you to drift in the zones these fish will be. You have to be pretty spot on with these fish if you want to avoid spooking them and give 'em that perfect cast. I'm a longtime kayak fisherman too, but there's just times where it isn't the right tool for the job and this, IMO, is one of those scenarios. The big decision is choosing whether it's more important that you target and catch a Speck of a lifetime or be able to say "I caught it from a kayak".
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in