Shark Surf Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 12-30-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Shark Surf Fishing

So this week I set out to pickens to do a little surf fishing, I had time off and wanted to get out. My two friends and I happen upon a group of fishermen/women out for a day of shark fishing. After drooling over their gear and talking to them a bit, we pushed on to another spot to try for the day. No luck for us, but people were catching reds and and black drum to the left and right of us.
So on our way out we stopped in again on the shark fishers. They had been having some luck and informed us of a website they are affiliated with SOS "Sharks on the Sand". pretty cool pics and stories on their site however, no where to register as a new user on their webpage so im not sure how to contact them again. All along great people very helpful.
So I got to thinking, do i have anything to give this a try myself. I looked inside the pirate's rod and gun shop (the garage) and found a penn 68 which can run 50lbs mono to 400 yards and about 75 lbs braid to 600 yards (rough estimate since braid was not invented yet when this thing was!). I have a slew of different rods (none with rollers).
So what is everyones opinion about this gear set up...Penn Long beach #68 with 75 lbs braid holding roughly 500 yards of line or 40 lbs of mono strung to 500 yards. on a medium/heavy rod 6-8 feet long.

Just looking to try this out before i commit to purchase of more gear. at 30 rods and 50 or so reels i really have to justify to my better half the purchase of more gear!

Thanks for your help.

TRP
TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
Grouper

Were those guys taking the bait out with a kayak or anything or just fishing close?

Any reel that will hold enough line and has a good drag and a rod with a backbone should work if you can get the bait out there.

21 Cape Horn Offshore / 200 ETEC
osborne311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:16 PM   #3
Grouper

They were running it out by kayak past the sand bar. just wondering if 40-75 bs mono or briad would be tough enough. Also, menhanden milk would bring every shark around for 20 miles back in carolina but does not seem to hold true here. any thoughts on attractants or just use freash bait?

TRP

Old 12-30-2011, 05:29 PM   #4
Snapper

I did a little looking on the "sharks on sand" forum, and came up with this if you want to become a member.

http://www.sharksonthesand.com/forum...php?f=8&t=1422

Let me know if you need a kayak to haul baits out with. I'd love to give this a shot myself, but none of my friends think that sitting by the ocean in the middle of the night trying to catch something with teeth that's bigger than they are is a good idea. I need better friends.
ZombieKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Sailfish

I do plenty of shark fishing from the beach. We have landed many sharks from 2 feet to over 8 feet. The 8+ foot was a hammerhead that pulled so hard I was convinced I had hooked a submarine. After 3.5 hours of fighting it, Gary (devinsdad on PFF) and I got it tailroped and up on the beach. It was landed off a Penn 6/0 with 550 yards of 50# mono. We yak our baits out.

beer
beeritself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #6
Grouper

Zombie,
Thanks for your assistance, greatly appreciated it.

I am respooling several reels now. not sure if im going to go tonight or tomorow, but thinking about sunday. There is a place on base that i am also thinking of instead of heading all the way down to pickens. Thoughts, pm me?

TRP
Old 12-30-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
Sailfish

I personally load up my shark reel with mono...I've landed more big sharks on mono...they always snap the braid no matter how heavy it is.
PAWGhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM   #8
Grouper

I have not gotten all my big boy reels yet since moving down here but I have a penn 4/0 that I can load with mono or heavy braid. If you guys want to set something up and if zombie can bring his yak then I am up for it. I would imagine the more people late at night fishing for big toothy critters the better. lol I have a 6500 baitrunner I could beef up a bit also if anyone needed to borrow a larger reel. Just let me know.

Old 12-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #9
Grouper

i may be able to set something on paper. if zombie cant make it, i can pack my yak. its a sit inside but i am great at paddling in the ocean. going to outcast in the am to pick up some heavy line.
have new years plans with the misses. but after that?

trp
Old 12-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Grouper

Im good whenever. If its late then my wife is ok with it because she and my son are not interested much in the beach after the sun goes down. Just let me know. Someone ran into one of my brick driveway columns so I have some bricks we can tie on the bait with light mono for weight. When the shark hits it will cut the brick off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in