shark leaders & set-up - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
Snapper

Default shark leaders & set-up

Im using a 7 strand steel cable around 6-7ft long tied directly to my braid. Is there supposed to be 100-150lb monofiliment between the steel leader and the braid?
AVIDfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2013, 04:09 AM   #2
Grouper

A lot of shark fishermen will use up to 20 feet of 500 lb mono just to make sure the sharks skin or any snags won't break their line, I think it's a good idea but it sounds a bit excessive.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
Grouper

it all depends on the test of the braid. if you're using #100 braid then you shouldnt need it. anything less i'd put atleast another 6+ ft section of heavy mono. i use weedeater line cuz its cheaper and works great.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #4
Trigger

I am not an expert by any means but I caught a few. I use about a 20 foot piece of weed-eater cord and crimp it to a swivel to about a 6 foot piece of seven-strand coated steel. PM if you want pictures of my leaders as I have a few made.
Hook line stinker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 08:22 AM   #5
Snapper

As long as your total leader length is longer than the sharks you will be catching its just personal preference. I have been using a wire to mono leader lately.

I like having the extra swivel between the wire and high pound mono to help prevent twisting
Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
Sailfish

I use 9' of 7strand crimped onto a heavy swivel and tie it to my mono directly. I haven't ever been broken off in the 3 years I've been doing it that way.
beeritself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 12:24 AM   #7
Snapper

Ive thought about it though. Braid doesnt stretch. Neither does weed eater line? My 7 strang cable is 6' im using 70lb braid on my spinfisher i figured maybe adding a yard or more of heavy duty mono would give/stretch when fighting a good sized shark? Using that heavy of mono you cant really tie a braid to mono knot? Sorry fpr the late response.
AVIDfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #8
Mingo

pictures of any of these setups would be great. I'm studying for a trip in 4 weeks.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #9
Grouper

weedeater line does strech. its the same stuff as mono just made for a different purpose. plus it tends to be more abrassion resistent since its made to take a beating. attach the heavy mono with a swivel crimped onto it. you can tie heavy mono but the knot will be large. if you are going to tie it to your main line use a uni-uni knot. 5 wraps on the heavy mono with 7+ wraps on your main line.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 02:56 AM   #10
Trigger

Not to poo poo the mono thing for leader material but I'm old school and have never used it. a 300 ft spool of 275 lb sevenstrand goes for 50 bucks on amazon and a 300 ft spool of 500 lb mono goes for 30. Someone please enlighten me on the advantages of using mono tied to steel as opposed to straight steel. Seems like the extra sleeves and swivels would kill the price difference if that were a concern. I've heard the argument that steel gives a shark some sort of sensory electrical difficulty but from my experience I tend to doubt that. Also - might as well say it - I don't like circle hooks either Just can't seem to get the hang of not setting the hook. I prefer an 18/0 needle eye or two on a "Y" rig - but then you're bound to get a gut hook here and there and kill the beast which just ain't cool these days. Not trying to hijack the thread but if there's some kind of technique to using the circles besides just holding on and hoping for the best I'd really like to know about it.
Sharknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in