Shark Fishing Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-07-2013, 11:51 PM   #1
Gio
Surf Fisher
Trigger

Default Shark Fishing Question

I am a fairly experienced surf fisherman who has never targeted sharks, although I have caught a few small ones.
I would like to give it a try one night, but am not sure hoe far I need to get the bait out, and whether I can get it out far enough without a kayak.
I have a 6/0 on a 7' boat rod, with 65# pp, and everything I need to rig it. Will this work to get the bait out far enough to fish?
Your help woul be appreciated.
Gio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #2
Grouper

if you are casting probably not unless you can sling it like 100 yards. it also depends on the amount of line on your reel and the depth of the water. you want somewhere around #00 yards of line left on your reel after your bait is out. never know what you"ll hook. deeper water=more sharks...generally. some guys swim out there shark bait...shark bait...in your hand...in deep water...you expect to catch sharks in. not the best choice but it has been done so you can try that. hope this helped man. good luck and tight lines.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 12:25 AM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

On a north wind grab a teach bag and float it out and attach it to the leader with realllyyyy light line after you get as far as you want just jerk on the rod ad hard as you can till it falls off
rosco725 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 AM   #4
Grouper

Before you go swimming out baits or trying to cast a 6/0 100yards both of wich are really bad ideas! PM me when you want to go and we will use my yak to run baits out. UGLY
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
Mingo

Same here, I have a son in law coming in for the weekend, we are going out nights with the regular surf rods with wire leaders and chunks of ladyfish just casting. And beer. We will see!!!
Destinartist is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
The Tourist
Sailfish

don't use straight braid in the surf.... mono topshot is your friend. long soaks at 200yards, the sand bars, shells, bluefish, blacktips etc.. will cut that braid like a hot knife on butter.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 09:15 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

You would be surprised how shallow decent sized sharks get...which is why I REFUSE to swim at dusk/dawn anymore! I have a 6' heavy action rod and a Daiwa (spelling) Regal baitcasting reel with 80lb power pro that I use for shark fishing. Cheap stuff, but caught many a shark on her ranging from 3-6 foot. Its a pain in the butt to cast because of it's short size, but I havn't had any issues. As long as I can get it 50-75 yards, I'm happy.
Drone82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
Gio
Surf Fisher
Trigger

Thanks for all of the info, and invites. I think I have a better idea of how to make things work now.
Ugly and Andy, I will be in touch.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
The Tourist
Sailfish

yes, at night we put baits at 50-60 and 80-100yards plus the longer drops. we always get picked up on the short baits. during the day, on a bright sunny day, you need to get a little deeper unless the water is dirty. there may be one or two cruising the shallow crystal water but the majority are in a deep first gut or cruising the second.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #10
Gio
Surf Fisher
Trigger

Thanks for the info.
One more question. I have a Penn Fathom with about 400 yards of 50# braid, I can put a mono topshot and steel leader on it. It has 30Lb drag on it. I can cast this one a fairly long distance. Would this be acceptable for shark fishing? I went looking in the garage for my 6/0, and I think I traded it back when I was downsizing my bottom fishing rigs. I also have a 4/0 and a 3/0.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in