Shark fishing with live bait? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #1
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Default Shark fishing with live bait?

Last summer I went off 3 mile bridge with a couple guys and took my shark rig on the boat. We quickly caught some ladyfish and white trout and I hooked a big lady in the tail and threw her over the side of the boat with a 4oz pyramid. I hooked up pretty quickly, but got cut off on the bridge. Repeat x3. I was thinking about doing the same thing while surf fishing for shark. I'm pretty sure that that it will work good, but I would bet it's going to take more than a 4oz pyramid to keep a 16" ladyfish from moving my line around. Also, one of the fish got bit in two. Is it legal in Florida to put two hooks in one. I'm thinking one in the nose and one a couple inches from the tail. I've read that "multiple hooks" was not legal, but always took that as a treble hook.

How would you set the weight up for a large ladyfish?
Can I use two hooks legally?
Would you do it basically like a giant king rig but with the main line running back from the tail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
eating tasty
White Marlin

I'd just use one hook, let him run with it. He'll eat it. Do you have a kayak or other way to drop him off the beach? I couldn't imagine casting a live lady fish very far. If you're dropping him, use a 16 ounce weight. He won't move it far.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #3
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Yes, I generally yak out about 200 yards or so. Usually past the 2nd set of breakers and into the calm.

Would a solo cup of concrete be enough weight?

Old 03-07-2017, 10:39 AM   #4
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBender View Post
I'd just use one hook, let him run with it. He'll eat it. Do you have a kayak or other way to drop him off the beach? I couldn't imagine casting a live lady fish very far. If you're dropping him, use a 16 ounce weight. He won't move it far.
Break a pavestone type brick in half ... or use a whole brick, drill a hole in it with a masonry bit, put a zip tie through the hole, tie a couple feet of light mono (I use 8lb) to the zip tie & other end to the hook or to the leader right at the bait. The shark will cut or break the light mono when he picks up the bait so he won't really feel that weight once he starts swimming off chewing on your bait. (that's my theory anyway)

Also if you need to rebait after a run or after getting no runs .... that brick attached to light mono will break off not long after you start dragging it in. Better than having to winch a heavy lead weight all the way back to the beach.

Been working for me (when I don't use a sputnik)... but I'm pretty much a rank amateur at shark fishing from the beach. Bricks are cheap and even free if you want to scout around a bit. 16 oz lead weights .... not so much.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 03-07-2017 at 10:49 AM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #5
eating tasty
White Marlin

Default Shark fishing with live bait?

I like the brick idea

Less apt to roll around like a solo cup would.
FenderBender is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2017, 11:01 AM   #6
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Where do you usually hook the live ones? Would you "sew" the leader to the fish with some small zip ties?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in