Shark fishing leader. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Default Shark fishing leader.

I'm really wanting to try to catch at least a decent 4-5' shark. I watched a youtube video that seemed like complete overkill so I started looking for something that might work for me. I found some 1/16" aircraft steel cable with 480lb breaking strength. I figure this would be big enough for any shark I'm going to catch off the beach. I'm I wrong? I can get 3/32" at 920lbs or 1/8" cable at 1760lbs but figured the extra weight would make it pretty hard to cast with my 7' catfishing rod. I figure I'll use about 6' of that followed 10 yards or so of 50lb braid and then 20lb mono.

Am I crazy on my plan or will it work? Does the cable have to be coated? Mind you I'm only going to be on the beach for 4 days and if I catch 1 decent shark (4+ feet) I'm probably going to call it done, and go for pomp, whiting or trout the rest of the time. The whole thing will likely go in the trash when I'm done.

I've seen a couple vids where they used weedeater line, but I don't think I could do that and cast from the beach.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
Grouper

why not just go to wal mart and buy some single strand steel leader? make a 6' ish leader, 50lb braid on the reel and call it a day. youre probably not gonna be able to cast very far with that rod though.
The Pitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:16 PM   #3
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pitt View Post
why not just go to wal mart and buy some single strand steel leader? make a 6' ish leader, 50lb braid on the reel and call it a day. youre probably not gonna be able to cast very far with that rod though.
I want to get this set up before I come. They don't carry steel leaders in Arkansas. Whats a leader like that cost? Maybe I should wait and get it there.

Last edited by johnf; 04-16-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #4
Sailfish

Probably $2-3 at Walmart, Sam's, most bait shops. You'll have plenty of leader for your trip.
Buckyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckyt View Post
Probably $2-3 at Walmart, Sam's, most bait shops. You'll have plenty of leader for your trip.

Sounds like a plan. How do you set those up? The only videos I've found have the really big cable.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Snapper

just get some decent 3 way swivels and haywire twist the cable to the swivel and haywire twist a hook to the other end of the wire... then tie a 18in section of mono to the other ring, tie a dropper loop in it and use a 3-4oz pyramid weight... Tie that to your main line and cast as far as you can... works for anything you would want to catch on 20 lb. mono, and don't use the braid if you can help in unless its your main line, if the shark tail whips braid your done.. lol
Old 04-16-2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Snapper

I mean use braid on the reel, but not as a shock leader...
Old 04-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #8
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

Basic math on sharks, make the leader bigger then the size shark you wanna catch. 6 ft. shark, add a few feet to it. The sharks skin will cut mono w/ ease. There have been BIG sharks taken off local shores by our expert sharkers but the average would probably be 4-6 footers. If you can cast baits fine, if not you can float your baits out if the tide is right or paddle them out on a tube/yak whatever..... Good luck on your trip!
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Is 100 lb. mono sufficient for a shock leader?
yenzie35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

If I put a 7-8 foot leader on it can I lay my bait on the sand, take out the slack and just sling the crap out of it? Otherwise I've got a swivel in my pole. How exactly would you cast a long leader like that? What do you mean "float it out"? Don't have a kayak.
What do you mean "HAYWIRE"?

Last edited by johnf; 04-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in