Shark fishing help needed - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-15-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
Grouper

Default Shark fishing help needed

Ive been fishing for quite a while but ive never gone for shark.i know somewhat of what to do but i need some help.the biggest reel i have is a penn 4/0 senator with 50 pound mono line on it.would i need to add braid to it and do you just connect braid to the mono with a swivel?what size hook is best?would cigar minnows work and how would i rig them. How far out should i place the bait and should i kayak it out.i know that i have alot of questions but im really interested in trying shark fishing.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
chicon monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #2
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

I've never seriously fished for shark but read a bunch on here. Let's see if any of the guys that actually know what they are doing will correct me much.

1. Your reel and line are plenty for small sharks. You could even go smaller on the line.

2. You need as enough line to get to the 2nd sand bar plus 300 yards.

3. I would start at a 10/0 hook and go up from there. 10/0 should be fine for blacktips and smaller bulls and anything else your going to get off the beach. You could easily go up to 16/0-20/0 and it's still not overkill.

4. Bonita, big mullet, ladyfish and Blues are your best bet for shark. The fresher the better. Whole small stingrays will also work, but you'll wnat to score them pretty deep accros the back with a knife.

5. Yaking them out is the best bet. You'll want to go a bit past the second sand bar.

7. Wire leader will work fine. You'll want enough leader for the length of shark you are targeting. 7x7 coated wire is better. They are less likely to put a kink on it and break the leader.

8. On your rig you'll want to weight the bait down with a fairly big rock, maybe a pound or so, but do it with a small line, maybe 4-6lb test. That way when the shark hits, he breaks the line and your fighting the shark, not the shark and a big rock.

9. Very important. Before baiting your hook. Wrap it tight up to the barb with electrical tape or spray several coats of plati-dip on it. You can get that at lowes. You should also cover the first few feet of your leader if it's not already plastic coated.

10. Finally when baiting your hook get some large zip ties and tie around the fish and leader. This will help keep the fish from ripping apart and lose your bait without setting the hook.

11. Last. When you do get a bite, don't set the hook for awhile. Let it run for 10-20 seconds before you do anythig, then set it hard 3-5 times. Hang on for your life.

How'd I do guys?

Last edited by johnf; 06-15-2012 at 09:21 PM.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #3
Grouper

That seems about right.ive been reading alot about it and its pretty much the same as what you posted.thanka for the help.
chicon monster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2012, 10:58 PM   #4
White Marlin

Sounds about right to me, but I use 7/0 and 9/0 hooks.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 AM   #5
Snapper

All is right for yakked baits, excellent write up... But this year I have been doing casted baits with semi-light shark gear... i have a 4/0 on a 10' uglystik, it has landed 5 1/2' sharks without pulling any drag... im using 7-10' leaders w/ longer rods so i can cast them and have been very successful so far up to 6'3" on a Saltist 30 and an 11' rod and 40 lb braid... farthest cast is about 60-70 yds, but have caught tham on 30yd casts....
Old 06-16-2012, 04:54 AM   #6
Snapper

And if you do use braid put it on the bottom of the reel and mono on top, you can connect tham with an albright knot... no swivel to hang up on the guides, and i use anywhere from a 9/0-20/0 circle hook and 9/0-14/0 J hooks if i use J hooks at all... Pretty much stick to circles now...
Old 06-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
Sailfish

Pretty good JohnF- However, 2 things I will give my opinon on. Getting the bait between the first and second sandbar is plenty far enough. Our biggest Hammerhead, over 8', was caught on a Penn 4/0 with 50ld mono. Took 3 hours, but we got her.

Also, we have never needed more then 4-6oz of weight to keep the baits in place. The mono is fine, but after having to deal with the stretch of 200-300 yards of line between me and a shark, I had my reel respooled. Steve and Dizzy Lizzies gave me 350 yards of 80lb mono with 200 yards of 120lb braid on top. I am using a Penn 6/0 and with 550 yards of line, that is plenty. Plus that 200 yards of braid on top makes those last 200 yards of fight alot easier.
Good luck pal and be sure to take lots of pictures of your first big shark!
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

So I guess I didn't do too bad for a guy who's tall theory and no application. Guess I'll be ready next time I come to the beach. Wife is talking about going back down this summer.

Hopefully that nasty grass won't be ruining another trip.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 11:38 AM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to ablesbradley

All sounds right. Unless you want a big one. I have a okuma 55, with 30 yards 30lb backing for grip, and 700 yards of 100lb braid, I use a double uni knot to tie braid to mono its the best. I also use a 10 to 16 ft 240lb steel liter, double hooked with 13/0 cirlcle hooks. bonita has been my best luck. I paddle it out past the seconed sand bar and drop the bait off the edge of the drop off, I promise you this much I thought my setup was overkill, but I was wrong. Sharks get really really big out there in the deep blue water. They have spooled me, broke my liters, and almost taken me for a swim.
shoot me a pm if you ever want to meet up out there.
ablesbradley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by penn 10/0 View Post
And if you do use braid put it on the bottom of the reel and mono on top, you can connect tham with an albright knot... no swivel to hang up on the guides, and i use anywhere from a 9/0-20/0 circle hook and 9/0-14/0 J hooks if i use J hooks at all... Pretty much stick to circles now...
I would think that you would want you strongest line on top with the weaker line on bottom for those long runs where you just let him run.
I have my Penn 6/0 spooled with 300yds (maybe a little less) of 50lb braid on the bottom. And 300yds of 80lb braid with about 20yds of 60lb mono shock leader on top. Then I finish it off with 3-4ft of coated 100lb steel and a 9/0 circle..

Last edited by NoMoSurf; 06-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in