Shark fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-15-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Shark fishing

I have decided I am goin to try to get into shark fishing this year, but I don't know the first thing about it can anyone tell me what gear I'm going to need and really the best tips about it so I will still have all my appendages by the end of the year
fishin magishin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #2
Sailfish

single strand wire leader, 50lbs mainline minimum, bloody cut bait, strong hook! never forget they will bite ur hand off!!!!!!!!!!
grey ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
Team Jack 'Em Up
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin magishin View Post
I have decided I am goin to try to get into shark fishing this year, but I don't know the first thing about it can anyone tell me what gear I'm going to need and really the best tips about it so I will still have all my appendages by the end of the year
You need to talk to Jeff (beeritself) and Gary (devinsdad)...those are my go to guys for shark fishing info, and trust me they know how to land the big ones!
Mike W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
Mingo

i am going to start this year also looks sweet but its not the poor man sport the gear is pretty $$$ for what i have been looking at..but what the hell..there is a very good site http://www.sharksonthesand.com/forum/index.php those folks will help in any way they can to get you started and great vids..give me a pm we will be rookies together..tight lines..
Old 02-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #5
Trigger

Default Wanting to try out too

When i get down there during july hope to hook into a big nasty one if you guys need a third give me a holler
doggfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Grouper

I would get a reel that can hold a lot of line 500 yards or more and has a pretty good drag system. You can find penn reels for sale all around for a decent price. you may even try the up comming swap meet in navarre next weekend. Braid will string more line on your reel but is more expensive. 65lbs test is fine just to see if you even like shark fishing. Small hooks at 14-15-0 are fine for starting. I would also reccomend a wire leader of 100lbs test or more. I just had one bite through a 90 lbs leader friday night so all I use now is 240 lbs test wire leaders.

You can land a shark on small tackle if you have the patients, save the money on big gear if you really get into it. I also post on the SOS (sharks on the sand) website under the same name i you need help.

TRP

TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 08:05 AM   #7
Grouper

one last thing, unless your casting out your bait (kinda difficult with 5 pound chunks of bait and weight and 9 foot wire leader, you need someone willing to kayak out your bait and drop it where you want it.

TheRoguePirate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 AM   #8
Ruby Red Lip

Default fresh bait

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin magishin View Post
I have fished shark from Maine to Key West and the West Coast to Alaska. First buy as much rod and reel as you can. I like a Pen 9/0 to 12/0 reel.You can find them at fle markets some times, just check them out closely.Next I like to use circle hooks.Also a good pair of cutters to cut the leader.last fresh bait.Barricuda is candy to sharks. Good Luck
captgwalts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
Sailfish

Send me or Jeff, (BeerItSelf) a PM and we wil gladly have you join us on our next trip. A kayak is a must and we both use Penn 6/0 with no problem. Our biggest shark yet, a Hammerhead over 8' was landed last fall with no problem with 50lb mono.

Most of our sharks are Blacktips in the 5'-6' range and are very easily handled with a 6/0. Not to diss captgwalts but the Penn 6/0 has never let us down. If you have a 9/0 or bigger there is no reason not to use it. I just like the 6/0. Anyway, we are getting ready to start making trips and always enjoy having others join us. We have a Facebook page if you want to join. It is "Pensacola Sharking" on Facebook.
Good luck!
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #10
Sailfish

To go along with what others have said, I will offer up another tip. Be prepared to spend some money, its not going to break the bank, but you don't want to cheap out on your gear. There are ways that you can make up the money later on by making your own leaders and catching your own bait. Gary and I like the 6/0s from fishing off the beach, they haven't let us down yet. As far as getting the bait out, I would hold off on buying a kayak if you don't have one yet. Fish a few times with some local shark fisherman before you decide how much you want to invest.
Also, you're going to have to invest some time as well. A good shark fishing trip could take up most of the night just to land one or two.
beeritself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in