sand flea problems - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 06-03-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
Snapper

Default sand flea problems

okay so 2 straight days in a row I have surf fished and i used fresh dead shrimp and sand fleas.

well i catch plenty of fish on the shrimp, but the sand fleas i get bites and then reel it in and only the shell is left, the fish ate the flea and left their shell.

so then i decided to take the shell off and just hook the flea itself.. i then get even more bites, the fish seem to like the fleas better with no shell, but can never get a hookup. seems like its a hell of a pain to fish with fleas cause they don't stay on the hook good enough and the fish always steals them off the hook.. with shrimp even the pinfish i am able to set the hook and reel a fish in. and yes i'm using live and not frozen, same problem either way.

what is the best way to hook them? thoughts? suggestions? do the pomps and whiting swallow the whole sand flea with the shell when they hit?

Last edited by stevesmi; 06-03-2012 at 06:08 PM.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 06:45 PM   #2
Snapper

I saw once a technique use for some kind of worm that is sucked up on a beach somewhere that the guy used some kind of thread to tie the worm on the hook. I tried to look on youtube for it again but can't find it. Maybe you could find some kind of twine/thread that will work the same for sand fleas without the shell?
DTFuqua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Sailfish

Default Ghost Shrimp

Those are called Ghost Shrimp and they have to be wrapped with some kind of thread to keep them on the hook.

If the sandfleas keep coming off, just wrap them. JMHO C2
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:29 PM   #4
Mingo

The best way I have found to hook fleas is through the belly out the back. Specifically bring the hook out through the head where the shell is thickest. This will keep the flea hooked but will not hinder the bait-stealers. This time of year there will be so many juvenile pompano, along with crabs and other bait fish that will clean your hook. I check my bait more frequently but also double and triple up the fleas per hook. Use a smaller flea, about the size of the tip of your pinkie. The smaller fleas seem to stay on longer. Good luck.
pompanostradamus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
Snapper

the damn pinfish are thick as hell right now.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Fish Alot Catch None
Grouper

Berkeley gulp fleas won't come off. And you will not have to worry about the inards being sucked out. Mainly cause they are tough and nothing will eat them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in