Sand crabs - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Sand crabs

Do y'all use them when finding one raking for fleas ? I usually find a few here and there but can't really remember catching anything on one , however they tend to sling off easier than fleas so they haven't lasted to long on the line ... I figured the fish might love them an consider them a rare delicacy !!
wardicus79 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Trigger

And by sand crabs I mean the the flat headed ones with the the long spiny tail looks like a flea on steroids ... Not the white ones that live in holes on the beach ....
Old 11-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #3
SaltWaterDave
Sailfish

Are you talking about the male sandflea? If so, I reckon anything that would eat a female would eat a male. But I always throw them back. I heard that there is one male to a colony to breed all the females. Prolly just makes me feel better.
Attached Thumbnails
Sand crabs-p2180108-jpg  
naclh2oDave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #4
Ruby Red Lip

"the white ones that live in the holes on the beach" are what I always called sand crabs, spider crabs, or ghost crabs. Everybody calls them different things all around the state, but honestly if you can dig those things out of their holes and use them there is no better redfish bait while surf fishing. I caught tons of reds last year shore fishing the pass with those crabs, the bigger the better I found
Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #5
Trigger

Ok i guess I was referring to the male sand flea although I was told they were a sand crab when I asked if they were the male sand flea ...now I know thank you ... And yes I have tried using regular sand crabs but they slung off easy ... I usually catch them right before dawn at the waters edge or near there ... And they are usually quite large ....
Old 11-11-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

I usually hook them through the side bottom to top with a fairly large (7/0) (8/0) circle hook and let the redfish do the rest. I never used more than 4 ounces of lead, that could have something to do with them slinging off. Have had those crabs outfish live pinfish and croaker.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Trigger

Cool I figured they would be good bait as well I will keep trying them thanks ...
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Grouper

they catch fish great only problem is they tend to cast off like u said they are great baits to spotcast with on a light rod for pomps almost better than the normal fleas but i know we all call them male fleas but in reality thay are a completly different mole crab than our sand flea and dont know if u guys know this but we have 2 other species of mole crab one that lives off the beach one is the white one we always catch off the beaches it can grow as large as a small egg then u have the species that line the passes they are smaller harder darker in collor they look just like the lighter ones on the beach but they are a different critter the pass fleas cast best the so called male fleas are the best if u have a boat and can spotcast hope this helps good luck
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 11:42 PM   #9
Trigger

That what I was told that it was actually a different species , thanks weedline great info for all...
Old 11-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #10
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishn-on-credit View Post
I usually hook them through the side bottom to top with a fairly large (7/0) (8/0) circle hook and let the redfish do the rest. I never used more than 4 ounces of lead, that could have something to do with them slinging off. Have had those crabs outfish live pinfish and croaker.

Do you have to keep them alive. I've tried catching them at night, but have trouble keeping them from dying on me. I was also hooking them wrong apparently because I sling them off almost every time. How far do you cast them out?
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in