Rod/Reel Question - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Rod/Reel Question

Hey everyone, I have been reading the forum for a couple weeks and researching elsewhere about surf fishing in the gratyon beach/destin area. I will be coming down the first week of march for spring break, this will be my first time surf fishing and just trying to catch pompano and anything else that will swallow a pompano rig with sand fleas and shrimp. I just had a few gear questions with this being my first experience in the salt (not in freshwater by any means).

I am looking to purchase a Daiwa 10-11 foot Sealine spining rod with a Daiwa DF100A reel. Seems to be a great/durable/dependable combo for the money (around 100 bucks). I am on a limited budget as a college student as well as having to purchase a license, sand spike, sand flea catcher, etc... How does that sound to you wiser folks? If you have any other suggestions in that price range, feel free to let me know.

Also any other hints for that area and time of year would be much appreciated. Tight lines y'all!!
GA Fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #2
Grouper

You could really get away with a much cheaper combo than $100. If you won't be using them very much id say a 9-11 ft $40 combo will get you started. I think a few of the combos I've been using for years cost less than $50. That way you can get 2 rods instead of 1.
Tyler Massey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #3
Sailfish

Great time of year...you should do fine. IMHO, I'd suggest looking for a lighter tackle alternative to the "Giant" Daiwa combo. I'm not familiar with that rod, but most of the guys around here are going to smaller diameter, lighter rods and something around a 5000 series reel. Maybe something like the Exceler if you're into Daiwas. Otherwise you can probably get an Ande Tournament Surf from Dick's and a Penn 550 SSg on ebay for around that price. That combo will handle anything you'll catch from the beach around here (except maybe the bigger sharks), will be a lot more fun and those reels could double up on the pier, too. Heck, I'll loan you a set up for a week just for grins (and a Pompano or two).

Good bunch of surf fishermen around here. Make a few connections and we'll take care of you.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Any idea what brand combos those were that lasted you so long? I was thinking more of a long term investment, but I'm open to the idea if I can do some research on some cheaper combos.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:30 AM   #5
Sailfish

Default Cheap Combos

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Fisherman View Post
Any idea what brand combos those were that lasted you so long? I was thinking more of a long term investment, but I'm open to the idea if I can do some research on some cheaper combos.
Most outfits will last for awhile with proper care and feeding.

I have some cheap 'loaner' combos that I've had for quite a while and they're still 'ticking'. C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Thank you three for your responses. Pompano Joe(love the name by the way), would I experience any advantage by going with lighter alternatives as opposed to the heavier combo that I had listed above? I was under the impression that going with heavier stuff might hold up a little longer over time (looking for a quality pole for years to come with the idea of adding to collection down the road). Also, one of the other posts suggested going with two cheaper rods rather than one of higher quality. What is your view on that approach?
Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
Sailfish

Tyler is a well respected local fisherman, and Charlie 2 is one of my Pompano Heros, so I have a high regard for both of their opinions. Would I buy the cheap stuff...absolutely not. I'm going for the best bang for the buck.

For the money, the Penn 550SSg can't be beat IMO. It's light, it's strong, parts are easily available and you can pick a used one up for $40-50 in great condition. I buy and refurb them all the time.

As I said before, I'm not familiar with the particular Daiwa rod you mentioned, but I'm assuming it's the one I've seen the "Giant" mounted on as a combo at Walmart and others. It's a large diameter ("read outdated") fiberglass rod with the weight to match. Just saying you'll outgrow it really fast and want to make a change. Unrealistic to think you'll start there and stay there. I started with Penn 7500s mounted on 12' Penn Spinfishers. Great set-ups, and I was completely stoked...for a while. But I quickly realized that I was power and equipment heavy for surf fishing here in the Panhandle. So I started lightening up the tackle.

I think we're all just trying to give you the benefit of our collective experience. That's the benefit of a forum like this. "Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many advisers bring success." But the bottom line is you're the one who has to pull the trigger.

Best of luck with your decision.

Pompano Joe

Old 02-20-2013, 07:34 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I really do appreciate the advice, thats why I posted. I am just trying to make the best choice.

I think the Daiwa rod you are thinking of is the beefstick. The Sealine is the next step up and is a graphite rod. I have alot to consider here, but would thank you for the advice and maybe I will run into some of you the first week in March with some fish to show off. Thanks again!

P.S. Joe, If you have any of those refurbs that you work on that you would be willing to sell. I may be interested!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Land-Locked
Grouper

Dick's has the Okuma 10' Sentara combo for $70. Includes their Sentra 6500 reel, and is a good buy, IMHO.
BrakeTurnAccelerate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
Sailfish

I've always got reels to sell. Come see me when you hit town.

Pompano Joe

Tags
pompano, red fish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in