rod for penn 10/0? - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #1
Grouper

Default rod for penn 10/0?

i should be getting a 10/0 senator soon and i will be using it for shark fishing off the beach. im just looking for rod recomendations. i want to try and stay away from roller guides and graphite reels seats. my max price would probably be $300 but id like to stay well below this if at all possible. i wont be putting anything less than #80 mono on it. im not sure if that matters. thanks in advance.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #2
The Tourist
Sailfish

where are you located? check out half hitch tackle. the rods made for the shop are perfect at 60-130lb rating and $100. i use it with my 12/0 and 80lb line.

lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
Sailfish

I'm just curious, why are you steering clear of roller rods? Also, welcome to LBSF!
beeritself is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
Grouper

thanks lowprofile. i think ill go with one of those then. im located in milton. nice tiger by the way.

beeritself, id mostly like to stay away from full rollers because of just sand invasion. i know if you keep it oiled well this is less likley to happen i just dont want to spend alot of money on a rod and it get messed up. but $100 bucks i can handle the one roller on the half hitch rods lowprofile mentioned.

thanks for the input. really appreciate it guys. good luck and tight lines.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #5
Grouper

the 100$ half hitch rod LP has is bad ass. If I remember right it has a lifetime guarantee also. and with the 200$ you save you could almost buy a yak to run your baits out! Good Luck UGLY
Old 05-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Sailfish

Don't know if I would ever 'oil' a roller guide. Oil on your mono or braid is a bad thing. Keep them rinsed with fresh water after each use and you will never have a problem with roller guides.

Take lowprofiles advice on the rod. That rod is great and you don't need to spend $300 on a rod. Use that extra $200 for bait, beer and a couple of Subway sandwhiches for me, BeerItSelf and lowprofile while we shark fish.
devinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2013, 10:38 AM   #7
Sailfish

And for Ugly also- His comment got posted before mine. He likes extra ghost peppers on his sandwhich...
Old 05-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Grouper

i got a yak but ill keep ya'll in mind. me and my buddy have been trying to land some sharks since december now and we havent had much luck with our only two hooks ups getting off. we've been using a 6/0 and 9/0 and i just wanted to add another reel to the mix. dave(sharknut) has also been out there with us once and we had some short runs but none with commitment. ive kept up with alot of ya'lls posts and you guys definately know your shit. next time ya'll are in pensacola or navarre during the weekend id love to come out and watch&learn if thats ok. thanks again. i can't bring beer but i can bring some bait.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinsdad View Post
And for Ugly also- His comment got posted before mine. He likes extra ghost peppers on his sandwhich...
Thanks for looking out for the skinny guy Gary! Lets all get together and fight some big ass sharks soon! I took three days off to get ready for ten straight days of hardcore shark fishing! the teams down south are kicking our asses right now in the Big Hammer Challenge so its time to land some monsters! ghost peppers???? should I be scared? UGLY
Old 05-02-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly 1 View Post
Thanks for looking out for the skinny guy Gary! Lets all get together and fight some big ass sharks soon! I took three days off to get ready for ten straight days of hardcore shark fishing! the teams down south are kicking our asses right now in the Big Hammer Challenge so its time to land some monsters! ghost peppers???? should I be scared? UGLY
Yea, we need to all get together and invite some of the younger guys, (And girls) out to see if we can provide some tips and experience. Me, OzzyVega, BeerItSelf and HaileysDad are fishing the shark tournament at the end of this month and need to get some time in before then.

Oh, and the ghost peppers, or I think they are actually referred to as ghost chili's will damn near melt steel they are so hot. Makes a habinero taste like ice cream!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in