Ready to give it up - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default Ready to give it up

I've been reading the forums for almost a year now and I still have to be the worst fisherman ever...just about ready to give it up..fished the sound side of Johnson's beach Saturday evening and only got a nibble....no reds, flounder, nothing.....on live shrimp at that....I just don't know what I'm doing so wrong...in a good day I can land a catfish..help please.....
jsnbrdgs82 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 10:01 PM   #2
White Marlin

I've never had much luck at Johnsons other than whiting. If you can get to some dock lights pitch a chartreuse soft plastic mirrolure under it and you will get a speck or a red. Go to Bob sikes with Carolina rigged men haden on a large circle hook and you wI'll get a bull red of you wait long enough. I've had luck on live shrimp but most of the time a trash fish will get to it before a decent fish does unless you throw it at a fish. As for flounder they should start coming in, in big numbers soon. Just keep trying different rigs and techniques and you will get it down and then you will never want to quit!
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Ruby Red Lip

I hear you, I think you just spoke for a bunch of us, thanks. I know the fish have a calendar marked with when I'm going and where.

rr4611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
White Marlin

You have to work the shrimp. Don't just throw it out and let it sit. That does work at times, but throwing a live shrimp and doing a slow retrieve will yield better results. Carolina rig with a #1 or 2 hook. Put some small split shots on leader. Toss it out and slowly retrieve it in. Don't jig etc. If you let it sit then catfish, crabs and pinfish will eat it up.

Toss around docks, flats, etc.
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2014, 11:56 PM   #5
Snapper

Default The luck of the Irish, or any fisherman

In 1995 - 1997 I fished the Gulf in the winter, from early till late winter and I found it to be productive for reds and a few other fish.

I used a long rod of questionable quality and pen reel. Fifteen pound line off the reel and fifteen feet of lighter line to a lead sinker and two hooks on twenty. My bait, well, it was the sand crabs or shrimp and I always fished just across from my home in Navarre Beach. I always caught fish, reds, of course. I found the bait deeper in the sand and always available if you worked hard during the cold months.

Don't despair, one day, you'll put it all together in the right place and the reward be a shinny, hefty red or some other creature of the surf. Keep at it, fish the moving tide and stay till you've fished both side of it.

Last edited by fishmagician; 10-12-2014 at 11:59 PM.
fishmagician is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #6
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Fishing the sound side of Johnson's beach over the grass beds and potholes you can actually do better with artificials , such as mirrodines or gulp swimming mullet on jig head.This will cut out a lot trash fish such as pinfish and catfish. But if you are a die hard shrimp man , try using a cork . Set the depth of the cork so that your shrimp will hover above the grass , instead of disappearing into it. I hope this helps, good luck.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
Kiss My
Mingo

Default Fish on

For every picture I see of a fish caught there is one hundred of us licking our wounds drinking a cold one saying maybe I'll try that next time.
Reel Justice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2014, 11:23 PM   #8
Snapper

Don't give up. After this cold front the flounder are headed your way. Use a #2 hook and buy some penny colored gulp 3" shrimp.
The gulp is not better than real bait but, they can't tear it off the hook and that makes for more production of fish in the box.

Stay the course man, if it were easy everybody would be doing it!
marksnet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #9
Biologist
Cigar Minnow

Man, that side (sound side) of J-beach sees a bunch of fishing pressure and I think that is why I never see anyone pulling in fish (myself included and believe me I have tried!). In addition to the pressure from J-beach, we can include the folks over at big lagoon as well as it is just across the sound. The only place I have had any luck in the Big Lagoon area has been at trout point. It is pretty well hidden from the public and for some reason, the fish tend to be there no mater what the tidal activity, weather or season. I suspect it has to do with the deep water, seagrass growth patterns (lots of pot holes), that nice long shallow sand bar and of course the aforementioned reduced fishing pressure.
My next goal is to make the hike to the wider area just across from trout point on the Johnson beach side called redfish point, particularly on a moving tide.
The lesson here is location, location, location coupled with timing. Fish distributions are notoriously clumpy and will tend to hang out in interesting geological and anthropogenic structures (sometimes structure can mean grass next to open sandy areas or grass next to deep dropoffs). Outgoing and incoming tides will impact fish distributions as well and often in different ways. I recommend using google earth to find places of interest where fish might congregate. The easiest places to start would be to look for marshes that are connected only on a high tide and fish those areas when the tide is going out. The strong current flushes the bait from the marsh into the sound. Redfish love that!
Also, start using a cast net to catch your bait. This will not only save you some money and guarantee you will catch some fish (even if it is only bait....) but also it will teach you about the distribution patterns of the sources of food that our beloved predators rely on.
I hope some of this will help you put the puzzle together. The fish are out there, keep at it. If you need a partner at J-beach, give me a shout, I am out at innerarrity point and could likely be there even on short notice.
d
boomyak and marksnet like this.
Angryturkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2014, 09:44 PM   #10
Sailfish

Best advice I can give you is keep going and trying! I have been where you are at so many times. When I moved here from Mobile, I didn't know a thing about fishing this area. I have learned through experience. Getting out and trying. They call it fishing and not catching for a reason!
Getsome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in