Reading the surf - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By snakeeater

Old 06-13-2017, 01:36 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Reading the surf

Hey everyone. Done a lot of research and got some great info at sams. Just tying to put the final piece together to catch something nice. The past few days have been crazy ruff but this morning and this afternoon have turned out pretty calm surf wise.

Help me read this surf out here. I'm originally from California so finding holes is a little different. I've been throwing spoons and swimbaits in places I considered holes with only lady fish being caught. I've also chucked sand fleas on a pompano rig with no luck.

Any thoughts on what else I could do to hook into something nice before I head back Thursday?

I tried taking some pictures from my condo to show what I have to fish. Looks like there is sand bar to my right and one waaay out to the left of the second picture. Let me know what y'all see.
Attached Thumbnails
Reading the surf-img_2927_1497375230078-jpg   Reading the surf-img_2928_1497375333624-jpg  
tmitch06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #2
Cigar Minnow

Just realized my pictures don't show what I'm talking about that well. Basically I see waves crashing then falling. From up here the water looks lighter near the waves then the water surrounding it. Let me know what y'all think.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:10 PM   #3
Sailfish

Walking along to beach look for spots between the sand bars. Water flowing out from the wave will show the cuts between the bars also. There is are generally two sand bars depending anywhere for 50ft to 100ft or so fish will be running in the trough. Hope this helps.
daniel9829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the help! I guess my next question is if I'm throwing 3inch swimbaits and spoons should I expect some hits if I'm in the right spot? And advice on that? Should I just keep moving even if I feel I'm in a hole? Or should I try some other type of lure.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:25 PM   #5
Sailfish

Fish will run all up and down the beach usually between the 1st and second bar. might get to 10 foot there. Fish will run the shoulders between the bars. Good Luck
daniel9829 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #6
Cigar Minnow

My limited experience has shown me if I keep walkin' and keep throwin', eventually I find some fish.
Destinartist likes this.
snakeeater is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in