Questions from visiting surf fishermen from Texas - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 02-24-2015, 05:55 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Questions from visiting surf fishermen from Texas

Folks, we are visiting PB the week of 3/7 and planned to do some surf fishing for a few days. We have a few questions regarding the area:

1. I saw on a few posts, especially from Fish_On and Pilar, that Navarre beach seemed to be the spot. Can you tell me where would be best spot to fish w/o crowding the beach goers ? Is it east or west of the pier ? Or should we enter the Navarre Beach Park and put down there ?

2. Where can I find a good bait shop ? Hot Spots B/T seemed to be closed and Gulf Breeze B/T seemed to have mixed results ? I heard somebody said that the Walmart in Gulf Breeze have baits there as well - recommended ?

3. I think the weather is a little bit cold for pompano, but we wouldn't mind catch some black and red drums - our kids would love to catch anything actually. Any recommendations what type of baits we should use ? sand fleas (if available), live dead shrimp, etc..

Thanks in advanced,
Mike
mikeinsugarland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 06:08 PM   #2
White Marlin

Anywhere on the beach between PB and Navarre beach or towards the fort (west) will not be crowded for fishing that time of year except the piers. HSpots has moved to PB not far after you cross the toll bridge to the beach on the right hand side. As far as bait get a little of each and see whats working. Sheephead should be on fire about then around piers and piling. They love live shrimp and fiddler crab but will bite dead shrimp too. Good luck and have fun!
2RC's II is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2015, 06:36 PM   #3
Grand Slam

Nothing wrong with Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle, sometimes people have complained about employees acting grumpy.

Peeled Fresh Dead Shrimp works great this time of year. The best place to get that cheap is Joe Patti's Seafood Pensacola Downtown area.
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2015, 07:08 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2RC's II View Post
Anywhere on the beach between PB and Navarre beach or towards the fort (west) will not be crowded for fishing that time of year except the piers. HSpots has moved to PB not far after you cross the toll bridge to the beach on the right hand side. As far as bait get a little of each and see whats working. Sheephead should be on fire about then around piers and piling. They love live shrimp and fiddler crab but will bite dead shrimp too. Good luck and have fun!
Thanks .. 2RC's II .. is Opal beach a good place ? We are down near the Portofino towers so thinking of starting from there or should we start from Navarre and work ourselves back to PB ?
Old 02-24-2015, 07:12 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
Nothing wrong with Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle, sometimes people have complained about employees acting grumpy.

Peeled Fresh Dead Shrimp works great this time of year. The best place to get that cheap is Joe Patti's Seafood Pensacola Downtown area.
Cool .. I will give Gulf Breeze B/T a shot .. convenient for us since we have to drop by the Walmart to get our licenses. Any recommendations for a favorite spot ? (doesn't has to be exact - just a vicinity of you don't mind)

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-24-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Grouper

There is not a thing wrong with fishing the area you are in.
Inn Deep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
Provocateur
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsugarland View Post
Thanks .. 2RC's II .. is Opal beach a good place ? We are down near the Portofino towers so thinking of starting from there or should we start from Navarre and work ourselves back to PB ?
Mike,

I often receive good reports from Opal, but I don't make it down there often. I think you will be around plenty of great spots to catch fish. Ride around, and look at the water, and see if you can spot some good areas...we have tons great spots around here!
Pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinsugarland View Post
we have to drop by the Walmart to get our licenses.
You can get your license anywhere, Wally, Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle or even on line.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
You can get your license anywhere, Wally, Gulf Breeze Bait & Tackle or even on line.
Cool, one-stop shop at Gulf Breeze B/T then .. can't wait - less than 2 weeks to go .. I think I am more excited about this trip than my kids ..

Come by and say hello if you see a bunch of guys in a mini-van with the Houston Texans flag ..
Old 02-25-2015, 05:54 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
Mike,

I often receive good reports from Opal, but I don't make it down there often. I think you will be around plenty of great spots to catch fish. Ride around, and look at the water, and see if you can spot some good areas...we have tons great spots around here!
Thanks .. I think we will work from Opal back to PB first .. I will post a fishing report - and hopefully with a bunch of fish pics.

Mike

Tags
bait, black drum, red drum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in