PVC sand spikes - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-14-2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Mingo

Default PVC sand spikes

I am in the process of gettign all my junk ready to invade the beach and set another state record for the most catfish caught in a vacation, but realized I now have more rods than sand spikes. I have made my own and they do jsut fine, but if I am going to make more, what size do you guys recommend? Mine now are out of 1 1/2 inch PVC and are between 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 feet depending on the angle of the bottom cut. There is some play in the holder being a little large, but it has worked well in the past. Do I need to change the diameter for any reason? Do I need to make them any longer? Thanks for the help and all the great posts.

I will be the guy right before you get to Johnsons beach that is constantly jumping up to go get another catfish off of the line! I am getting better at staying away from them, but I can still find em!
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Grand Slam

I like mine pretty tall (never measured), but the ones I have that are short are less desirable.

Therefore; my line to the water is high enough for people (beach combers) to pass under. Then they do not have to walk behind me, and walk in front of me.

Sometimes that view is good and sometimes it is not.
Old 05-14-2013, 12:23 PM   #3
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post
I like mine pretty tall (never measured), but the ones I have that are short are less desirable.

Therefore; my line to the water is high enough for people (beach combers) to pass under. Then they do not have to walk behind me, and walk in front of me.

What he said
Snatch it is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaTom View Post

I was going to say that higher is better to keep your lines out of the waves but BTs answer is actually the correct answer!
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #5
Trigger

1.25 pvc 4' long heat gun and wine bottle to flair out the top
bwendel07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Last year I saw some folks who used about a foot of pvc and had it attached to about 5" sections of 3/8" rebar with 2 pipe clamps. They said it was easier to carry, heald as good as the pvc and was a lot easier to bury up in the sand. Is that crazy?
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
The Tourist
Sailfish

i like them at 5 1/2 ft for around here. i have 8fters but they are not needed.

2" is fine. cut a 45 or 60* at the bottom. stick it in the wet sand and suck on the end of the tube (lips inside dont choke on it. ) and suck sand into it as you press down. i can get them in a good 2ft pretty effortlessly.

Last edited by lowprofile; 05-14-2013 at 10:08 PM.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:09 AM   #8
Mingo

Looks like I need to make them a little longer, I really thought they would take off into the gulf easier if I got them too high. BT - I do like the scenery that walks by, but sometimes I get a little scared with the scenery too, so you have to take the good with the bad!

I have not thought about the heat gun and wine bottle idea, I will have to try that. I just take a dremel and basically sand the edges round, but I will have to try that one.

And I know that there are some strange things that fishermen do to catch fish, and I am all for it, but has anyone ever see LP sucking the sand into the PVC? I tend to latch on and drive it as far as my big gut can sink it and that is where it stays...... But if this is purely for your entertainment, 2nd week of June around Johnson's Beach, look for the bald idiot trying to suck sand into the PVC so he can fish!!!!!

Thanks again guys for a great forum, especially for those of us that can't do this more than a week or so at a time and can't learn as much from trial and error - or trial and remember!
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
Blue Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
i like them at 5 1/2 ft for around here. i have 8fters but they are not needed.

2" is fine. cut a 45 or 60* at the bottom. stick it in the wet sand and suck on the end of the tube (lips inside dont choke on it. ) and suck sand into it as you press down. i can get them in a good 2ft pretty effortlessly.
Hubba Hubba.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 09:54 AM   #10
Ruby Red Lip

the next time I make them I going with about a 5 foot long piece I agree that a little taller is better.

I was wondering about flaring them out and a heat gun and wine bottle seem like it would work great for that. Thanks
redfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in