Pompano tips - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree80Likes

Old 05-09-2016, 12:51 AM   #1
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Default Pompano tips

Now I'm not claiming to be an expert, but several people have been asking me for advice. So I'm going to attempt to share what works for me. I'll start with how to select a productive spot.
When I'm looking for a spot ,often times I will pull into the parking lot and get out and get into the bed of my pickup and stand on my tool box to see if I can see any deep troughs or cuts running through the bar. If I don't see anything interesting I drive to other parking lots until I do. As well as looking for troughs or cuts ,I'm also looking for things that just look different. Such as points or little offshore sandbar islands. Points will eliminate the inside trough, thus forcing all the pomps to run around it ,therefore creating a hot spot of increased traffic. If there are any little sand islands I'll fish left and right of them . I'm just basically looking for something different involving deeper water or something forcing them to travel through a particular area. Earlier this week I was fishing by some little sand islands that would surface during low tide, but I was mostly fishing around them during high tide. For the last 2 evenings I have been fishing on a point that extends pretty far out on the evening's low tide. I've been taking advantage of the extra dry ground that is exposed in the evening. By using the point I'm able to throw past the bar, where the point has forced them out to. Always remember that all this stuff can move. Just because there was a trough or cut there last week doesn't mean that it's going to be there this week. I have said this before, but it is worth saying again "Try to fish where the fish are at, not where you want them to be. "
Now for times that I like to pomp fish. I like to fish the first 2-3 hours of daylight and the last 2-3 hours of daylight, and I also like to fish around high tide,even if it happens during the middle of the day.
As far as baits go, I've always been a big fan of peeled shrimp. Recently I have become a huge fan of fish bites. I rarely use sandfleas even though I know that they work. My favorite fish bites are pink shrimp flavor and orange and white sandflea flavor. When I'm using the fish bites ,I make some less flashy leaders without the bright gaudy little corks as I feel the brightly colored baits are enough of an attractant all by them selves. Now, when I'm fishing with peeled shrimp or fleas I like those bright little corks. Now when it comes to hooks, what I use isn't very popular in the inner click of pompano fishermen. I use 3/0 eagle claw circle hooks , and I will never change. Best pompano hooks ever made !
Now I don't exactly know that everything that I wrote made good sense ,but I tried. If there are any questions about anything that I wrote, feel free ask for clarification. If I didn't answer or address something that you are curious about just ask and I'll try to answer. I hope this helps. Also if anybody else has any tips or suggestions for those seeking answers, post'em up.

Last edited by THE POMPANO KING; 05-09-2016 at 12:54 AM.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 01:17 AM   #2
White Marlin

Looks great to me!

Anyone trying to tie their own leaders, i order pill floats from Walleyesupply.com, great people small town business. Every receipt is hand signed! Great colors and sizes too, best prices and the least sketchiest transaction.

The local tackle stores sell them, for crazy prices IMO

The clarity of flouro vs mono doesn't seem to make a difference. But what about the fact flouro sinks better? I wonder if it lays different in the water?

It'd be cool to do some snorkeling experiments to see how the baits sit. Maybe this summer?

Last edited by NKlamerus; 05-09-2016 at 01:52 AM.
NKlamerus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #3
Mingo

Great post Russ. Good tips that I will try to put into action later this week.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
Blue Marlin

Good read… Thanks

Sent through Tapatalk, even though they ruined it with "upgrades"...
Old 05-09-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
Snapper

Grouperking,

Maybe I missed it, but do you combine the peeled shrimp with fish bites?

I use the pink bites also with shrimp, but the bites alone -without shrimp, have only caught quality fish like whiting and pompano, a couple of times for me. And then only when the fish were thick in the fall, and fighting over anything thrown.
SWAngler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2016, 11:47 PM   #6
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAngler View Post
Grouperking,

Maybe I missed it, but do you combine the peeled shrimp with fish bites?

I use the pink bites also with shrimp, but the bites alone -without shrimp, have only caught quality fish like whiting and pompano, a couple of times for me. And then only when the fish were thick in the fall, and fighting over anything thrown.
I'm fishing them by themselves on a less flamboyant rig without the little bright corks. I have added a sandflea or a piece of shrimp, when the fish bite starts looking tattered and worn. When I went today, I didn't take anything but fish bites and did quite well, I even had a double. I forgot to mention that the orange and white fish bite is pretty awesome too.
Pomphunter likes this.

Last edited by THE POMPANO KING; 05-09-2016 at 11:49 PM.
THE POMPANO KING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

I'm not familiar with fish bites. Where do you buy them and could you link or show us the what they look like? Thanks!
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #8
Grouper

Really any tackle store has started carrying them. they are in a blue and white sealed bag about the same size as a gulp bag. They come either pre cut or in big strips for you to cut. if they are precut they are in a long triangle shape. there are many different color and flavors also. Since ive started using them they are a must.

http://www.amazon.com/Fish-Bites-007.../dp/B004RDOXHW
Sunshine17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
Trigger

Great post thanks! When do the pomps slow down to the point their not worth chasing in the surf? I have been down and done well on them as late as June, actually we tore them up after dark in June one year.
Old 05-10-2016, 10:58 PM   #10
Cigar Minnow

Thumbs up

I like the circles too GK. The fiddlers work well also,I usually stay away from artis when it comes to pomps.
Green Tide is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in