Pompano Fishin - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Pompano Fishin

I have been saltwater fishing for a while but have never caught a pompano. What are the basics like baits, gear, tide phases, and just some general tips. Anything would be greatly appreciated. I have a 12' cabelas surf rod with a fairly good sized reel (I am a frequent bull red fisherman). Thx JD
bassie02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Grand Slam

Hit the search box at the top and type in Pompano Tips or something like that. There have been many, many threads on this subject.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #3
Mingo

Definitely spend some time searching for info on the forum. As welldoya said, there are tons of useful threads on here.

Keep in mind that this time of year you'll be fighting through a lot of fish other than the pomps you are targeting, plus there's June grass to deal with...but for starters: use any rod/reel that can get your bait out beyond the inner sandbar (where the water turns to darker green, 8-10' is good), hook sand fleas or shrimp on a double or triple pompano rig (purchased pre-tied at any tackle shop) with the appropriate pyramid weight (3-6 oz should work most days) and walk out so you can cast to that dark green margin.

Then walk back to the beach, use a sand spike to hold your rod, set the drag, crack open a cold beer of your choice and wait.

I'm not sure how much the tides matter, I'm sure someone with more experience can chime in here. I've caught pomps throughout the day on both incoming and outgoing tides. Just get out there and fish when you can.

Good luck.
ALtoAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #4
Surf Beast
Ruby Red Lip

As for leaders use a double hook bottom rig. Use a 3 oz weight and then two suspending hooks above. Dont use the walmart leaders that are flashy with all the beads, crimps, etc. You can either make your own with 30 or so pound mono or sometimes you can buy simple handmade leaders like this at a bait and tackle shop. For bait the best choice is live or fresh dead sand fleas. Second choice would be fresh dead shrimp. Frozen shrimp will do but does not work well and is a magnet for catfish. It is said that around high tide is best but i fish on vacations and on a tight schedule. I haven't noticed a difference between tides and i try to just fish when i can. The preferrable surf fishing conditions is calm surf with little curent. This time of year the june grass which is seaweed that washes up on the beach starts to show up. If there is alot of it it is unfishable because it get all raped up in your leader and line. It is best to fish in the gut inbetween the beach and the sandbar. A prime place to fish would be a gap inbetween sandbars which is called a washout. Also pompano mainly bite in late april early may so there numbers are starting to decline. Hope this helps you and if you have any questions ask.
Bebee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2015, 06:15 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

I caught my first few pompano ever this year. But what the two above me mentioned is pretty much what I followed and I was successful. Have you ever tried to catch sandfleas at the beach? Its fairly easy once you get the hang of it.

Two things that I have noticed when fishing for pompano is that location is the most important if you want to catch them consistently and the pre-made pompano rigs seem to have too much "jewelry" on them. I have sat feet apart from a buddy who had the pre-made rigs and I tied my own with a single piece of leader material and I caught three and he didn't catch any.

Best thing to do is get out there and try different baits/set-ups to see what works. I'd also spend a good amount of time looking at locations.
Jeff5689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in