Pompano Experts - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes

Old 01-28-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Trigger

Default Pompano Experts

I am new to pompano fishing to the extent that I haven't caught one yet. I have surf fished a bunch of times but I am interested in learning how to target them. I am pretty sure I have been using much too large bait and hooks for their liking. I have read plenty but would love to learn hands on from someone who has been around the block. Let me know if any of you pros are willing to divulge a few of your secrets.
PM me so we can set something up. Thanks.
Also I have a few surf set-ups but what would be some of the ideal pompano rod/reel combos you would recommend?
Hook line stinker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
Sailfish

small hooks, and sand fleas or peeled shrimp do the trick. its a hurry up and wait kinda thing. usually the bite is a little better when there is a little surf
PaulBoydenCustoms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
Blue Marlin

I prefer size one light wire circles. Ive even caught dozens of bull reds including my largest at forty five inches on these hooks. They are just fine.

I use a double dropper rig with orange beads or floats made of twenty pound fluro.

I prefer fleas when its clear, fresh peeled shrimp when its a bit murky but always bring both.

The trick is reading the surf. Fish in cuts. Also bring at least four rods and position them in different depths in the cut, maybe even one beside the cut on the bar. If you start noticing one is getting ate more then others, put a few more baits in that spot.

If that cut isnt producing, move.

Im not as good as most of the harcore surf guys but I generally can put a pomp or two in the box.
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
Cigar Minnow

go to tight lines bait and tackle store....get a sea striker rod....medium action....at least 8 foot....9 or 10 even better....25 bucks....go to rod and reel depot...get a daiwa b g 15.....for the 8 footer or b g 20 for 9 or 10 footer.....tight lines has a super pompano rig for 2.50 a piece...20 lb test line ...any kind ....3 oz.p. weight..
the finisher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Trigger

I've caught them in the surf where it is churning the sand up with a 3/8 oz. pink and white jig tipped with a thumbnail piece of shrimp hopping it on the bottom. I use a spinning reel with 10lb. mono on a 7' med. light rod.
coin op repair man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Squid technician
Grand Slam

There are many variants in pompano tackle. Some like circle hooks, others like long shanked J hooks. I prefer a #6-#4 Kahle hook. I use single drop rigs with a micro float on the dropper above the hook. I always carry different colors of floats as well. There's days where certain colors will work far better than others. I use 15-20 fluoro or mono for my leaders and tie them directly to my main line. For bait, I use a variety like most and prefer to bring a few different types with me. Live and dead shrimp, sand fleas, ghost shrimp and fiddler crabs will all take pomps but there will be times when one or two is preferred so it pays to have a variety of bait. Rods and reels is something that could be debated for days on end so I won't go there, but you'll want to use good quality rods that are light and are more efficient for casting long distances.

Variances in the beach or sandbar are what to look for when picking a spot. Washouts can be spotted from a distance by turbulence on the surface. Areas where the outer bar swings close to the beach forms choke points that funnel pompano into narrower channels. When the surf zone is relatively uniform with few points or washouts, then you need to spot any spot that offers something different for fish to relate to. It could be slightly deeper water or a spot with a couple shallow humps.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Trigger

Thanks a lot for all the timely responses. Seems like everyone does something a little different. I will try all of the stuff mentioned over time, but would love a one day crash course on the sand if anyone is interested in teaching. I'll buy the bait and bring whatever I need.
PM me to set it up.
Hook line stinker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
Sailfish

Default Pompano Experts

They're everywhere. Each with something 'a little different'. C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
Grouper

Send a message via Yahoo to Magic Mike

Most effective equipment: comfy beach chair, 12 pack of cold brew, sunglasses, sand flea rake and a couple long rods (8'+) w/reels....

Double drop setup and least amount of weight to hold in surf (try spider weight/spudnik weight with high surf) and either peeled shrimp (really half pealed) or sand fleas. I try to keep my rigs as simple as possible, but know some people swear by the wal-mart orange float rig deals.

Casting distance doesn't seem to make much difference in my experience; have caught them 15' from shore and past 2nd sandbar. They're visual hunters... they cover lots of ground searching for food.

Have fun and enjoy the beach. Keep an eye on water temps and tides... record when you catch and when you leave empty handed. Bet you start to see patterns
Magic Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Grouper

Chris, I have a story for you . I've had a few glasses of wine , hope i can make sense.
I have learned about reading the beach ,looking for cuts and washouts ,beach structure,ect.
when I fish byself I move I f iam not getting any thing.
Johnson beach is my favorite place ,just close to home and I just like going there.sometimes the fishing is not so good so I try something different. along perdido key there is a cross over right across from where they are building a new fire station. about 1/4 west of that cross over is a sand point that is pretty consistantly there. fished there a few times and got some big whiting and nice flounder. good cut running right along the beach with edges to cast to ,really fishy lookin spot.
So one morning last fall I walk over the cross over with another fisherman and what is right in front of us is dead flat surf, no water moving,no struture. But down the to the west is my point ,small waves breaking over it and I can see current moving along the beach, so off I go. the other fisherman just wants to relax and fish right there . Two hours later I have 2 small flounder in my box, only kept them because they swallowed the hook. As I get back to the crossver the other fisherman is packing up and ready to go. He has 5 pomps in his box, two big ones and 3 mediums. So do I just suck as a fisherman, or does this guy just know something that i don't. any way I'll be wondering about it for a long time

Last edited by jcallaham; 01-28-2013 at 08:28 PM.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in