Penn SSV Liveliner for 10' St Croix - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Penn SSV Liveliner for 10' St Croix

Which size Penn SSV Live Liner would you recommend to go with/balance a 10' St Croix Triumph Travel Surf Rod? Will be a general purpose setup for soaking bait on the beach.

Thank all in advance for the feedback!!
Charlessyverson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #2
Snapper

If your gonna be here thru the summer i would say a 5500 or larger. I dont have as much expierience as alot of the guys on here but i taught myself to fish saltwater over the last six months and have been pretty successful, however there were several fish i had to break off (fear of getting spooled and leaving a fish with 200yds of line in his mouth) with a 4500 class reel. you dont always need the extra drag of a heavy reel but the line capacity is huge IMO. with the rod mentioned i'd say a 5500 or 6500 with 50lb braid or 20-35lb mono would work perfectly.
missplaced_idahoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Snapper

I actually agree/disagree...............I think the 5500 would be plenty of reel to fit your description, BUT, I think 30 lb braid would be plenty. You can spool more line for the occasional long runs and still have high enough breaking strength.

Now if you're going to be fishing for sharks then yea, go with the bigger reels and heavier line.
Randy M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy M View Post
I actually agree/disagree...............I think the 5500 would be plenty of reel to fit your description, BUT, I think 30 lb braid would be plenty. You can spool more line for the occasional long runs and still have high enough breaking strength.

Now if you're going to be fishing for sharks then yea, go with the bigger reels and heavier line.
youre absolutly right i was just thinking 50# braid so he could save some money spooling the reel since the shops around here charge a flat "by the yard" rate no matter what the strength. and even 30lb braid would would with sharks, if you have a good leader and plenty of line on the reel. Hell, ive caught 9ft sturgeon on 20lb mono you just gotta be patient
Old 02-24-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
Snapper

You dont have to fill the whole spool with braid. Get you some 30lb braid, a 150yrd spool will do. and fill the rest with mono. on that size reel you will still have PLENTY of line to get everything done!
Whitie9688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:05 AM   #6
White Marlin

It depends what you plan on going for I'd say. I have the 8500 and it is plenty enough reel for almost anything out here. If you do go for sharks I'd get the 8500 spooled with braid. If you don't plan on sharks I agree get at least the 5500 with mono on it. I have 30 pound mono and haven't gotten snapped off yet or came close to running out of line.the biggest fish I've caught was a 43 inch red and it handled it with no problem.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitie9688 View Post
You dont have to fill the whole spool with braid. Get you some 30lb braid, a 150yrd spool will do. and fill the rest with mono. on that size reel you will still have PLENTY of line to get everything done!
this is true, I think i just need some lessons on how to spool braid properly, ive tried spooling braid myself and i cant go 15 casts at any given time and not have a knot of some sort
Old 02-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Snapper

Come up to Hot Spots next time you need new braid and we will throw it on the line machine and get you set up man!
Whitie9688 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #9
Grouper

On the 10ft rod I would say that the 5500-6500 would be perfect.

As far as spooling a reel, the best option is taking it to a local tackle store and letting them put the line on using a line machine.

Last edited by Tyler Massey; 02-24-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Tyler Massey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitie9688 View Post
Come up to Hot Spots next time you need new braid and we will throw it on the line machine and get you set up man!
Me and Clay are on the same page!! lol
Tyler Massey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in