Penn Prevail Surf Rods - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree8Likes

Old 10-30-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Provocateur
Trigger

Default Penn Prevail Surf Rods

I'm looking to buy some quality surf rods in order to get bait out further. I've had decent luck using my 7' rods, but now I'm wanting 10-12' rods. I've read a lot of reviews on Penn Prevail. The consensus seems to be that those are excellent rods. A friend told me he loves his Offshore Angler, Bass Pro branded surf rod. They are certainly priced lower than Penn, but what about quality? I want something that will hold up well in the surf. Any opinions?
Pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
White Marlin

I have a 10' prevail on a 5k series reel with 30lb braid. Awesome rod. Slings bait pretty dang good. I love mine.
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2014, 11:12 PM   #3
Provocateur
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin618 View Post
I have a 10' prevail on a 5k series reel with 30lb braid. Awesome rod. Slings bait pretty dang good. I love mine.
Thanks, Justin. I think I am leaning towards them. The reviews are always positive.
THONAS J. RYAN likes this.
Pilar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 12:25 AM   #4
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilar View Post
Thanks, Justin. I think I am leaning towards them. The reviews are always positive.
You won't be disappointed. It's solid rod. Broke mine in other night on 2 blues and 2 sharks. Nothing major but I got bait. Lol.

Been using a small 1ft leader and 2oz pyramid and it can sling pretty far. Just what I wanted in a rod
Justin618 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 05:56 AM   #5
Grouper

Pilar am going fishing ,pensacola,EOP I'll have some long range surf set up's with me .If you want to try them it's 3416290
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 09:38 AM   #6
Trigger

St Croix Mojo 11' with braid casts farther than any setup I have ever seen. Pricey though at $250
daylate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 AM   #7
The Tourist
Sailfish

once you learn to use them, if your not already, conventional reels are the way to go when looking for distance but you don't always have to put your bait over 80yrds. sometimes 20-50 is all that's needed. actually, most of the time that's all that's needed.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 09:14 PM   #8
Cigar Minnow

I have a penn prevail 9'. It is definitely a good rod for what you pay for. I, like many others, am on a budget when it comes to fishing gear and this rod is one of the better rods I have purchased. I use it both on on the surf and the pier and it does great job.
JSaint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 11:01 PM   #9
Sailfish

First, I've never thrown or owned one. But the comments I've seen are the opposite of what you're seeing and hearing, Pilar. I fished Penn Power Stick surf rods in the past, but had to move on because of consistent breakage (casting within well within the published weight limits). I was going to try the prevail, but saw too many breakage complaints in other forums and customer reviews. Have to admit I was tainted by the Power Sticks through. I've used the Penn Torque casting surf rod without issue.

I've had great success with the Bass Pro Shop surf rods. Also have a friend that has one and loves it.

Another less expensive rod that I've used in the past was the Star Rod Ariel. They're around $70 and served me well for a couple of seasons. I gave the to a friend and he still uses them after a couple more.

Jim Callahan is a great guy and a rod hound! I'd take him up on his generous offer.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #10
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowprofile View Post
once you learn to use them, if your not already, conventional reels are the way to go when looking for distance but you don't always have to put your bait over 80yrds. sometimes 20-50 is all that's needed. actually, most of the time that's all that's needed.
I have caught some of my biggest fish in the surf washout, less than 10ft from dry beach. With that being said, I can cast my Penn Prevail/Mitchell 402 about 100yds with 2-3oz of weight. More than that and my distance goes down.

I have a 10ft Prevail that I bought last year and LOVE it! I was stunned at how effortlessly it casts 2-3oz. A gentle sweep gets the best distances, if I really try to sling it with a power pendulum cast, it gets less. It definitely likes finesse more than power.

I also have an 8ft bass pro rod and my wife uses an 8ft Star Ariel. I like both rods alot and could not tell you which was which if I was blindfolded. The Bass pro rod was about half the price of the Ariel. I caught it on sale. haha But both of these rods really have to be slung to get them to load. But all three are for the same 1-4oz of weight. I have to have the perfect cast to get these two out to 80yds. But they are only 8ft.

I spoke with Pompano Joe in person before I bought my Prevail. He expressed his concerns with breakage and I took them to heart. I did my research and saw what he was talking about. Most of the breakage issues that I saw were with the first gen rods. They are now on gen 2. Also many of the breakages were admitted to possibly the owner's fault in not seating the rod pieces properly. I am now paranoid about checking it every few casts. haha. No problems so far.
Pompano Joe and Pilar like this.
NoMoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in