Orange beach - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sbrettphill

Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Orange beach

Hey guys my family and I will be down the first of June I am pretty new to surf fishing but want to try when we are there ! First off will this time of the year even be worth trying . Second what is the best bait for then and what colors thank you in advance !
Robo5771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2019, 09:36 PM   #2
Bearded Brotula
Grand Slam

Just depends. I go to the beach with shrimp, fish bites and a flea rake. See which one works best. As far as time of year, you're good.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:26 PM   #3
Mingo

As Mr Fish said on baits. If you have little ones with you or get bored waiting for a hit in the trough on the big rig, bring a lightweight setup rigged with a split shot, tiny hook, and small bits of shrimp for whiting, just beyond the wave break.
sbrettphill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 01:17 PM   #4
Cigar Minnow

Thanks guys for the advice I will be doing that . What about casting while waiting on something to take the beach pole ?
Robo5771 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2019, 12:49 PM   #5
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo5771 View Post
Hey guys my family and I will be down the first of June I am pretty new to surf fishing but want to try when we are there ! First off will this time of the year even be worth trying . Second what is the best bait for then and what colors thank you in advance !

Depends on what you are trying to catch. I'm too ADD to put out a beach pole, so I like using an ultralight spinning rod and reel, and cast out crappie jigs or pompano jigs on the shore side of the sandbar. I don't catch much worth keeping, but have a lot of fun with whiting and ladyfish (and occasionally a pompano). I'd go by one of the local bait shops to find out what is working.

Last edited by perdidochas; 05-13-2019 at 12:53 PM.
perdidochas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
Trigger

Figuring if you can cast while having beach rods setup really depends on how much the family actually helps.

I bring my beach rods which I watch but also have setups to throw a pompano jig/teaser and a small (like 1/8th oz) silver kastmaster spoon.

Even if nothing else is biting the 11 year old has a blast pulling in baitfish.

Another thing I did was instead of getting a sand flea rake I got a big aluminum colander and it turns searching for sand fleas into another fun experience (at least for an 11 year old).
tiger297 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in