Newcomer- Surf Fishing Perdido - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Joraca

Old 06-27-2017, 09:37 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Newcomer- Surf Fishing Perdido

First post. Long time surf fisherman, but new to the gulf.
Just bought a condo in Perdido and went out this past weekend. Came away with a handful of ladyfish and some questions; any help would be appreciated.

Got out around 7:30AM a couple of mornings, throwing sandfleas on a pompano rig and gulp shrimp on carolina in front of my condo (Couldn't find live or fresh dead shrimp at Top Gun or Grays; all frozen). I had to settle for the beach in front of my condo with three kids in tow and momma in bed, but there was actually some discernible structure with a sandbar 50 yds out and a pretty deep trough, no visible cuts.

Are trout and reds typically found in the first trough? - Couldn't even hit the sandbar. I have a dock behind me int he bay with lots of lights, might have better luck there.

Are live fresh shrimp, pinfish, and sand fleas my best bet? Wanted to chunk the lady fish but didn't want to freak the kids out.

Where does the stain on the water come from and is it around a lot?

I'll try hitting the docks with pinfish and live shrimp under a cork next time.
Perdido has a great vibe. Really enjoyed my maiden voyage, but any advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks All.
beez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2017, 12:25 AM   #2
Master of Disaster
White Marlin

Welcome to the forum and the addiction!
Just to kick things off.... and I'm sure some other "surf fishing" gurus will chime in here- I would typically hit the beach at daybreak and throw a good sized silver spoon for Bluefish and Spanish- you might look for baitfish or predatory fishes along the sandbar.
Or use fresh shrimp on a gulf or pompano rig for redfish, whiting, pompano, etc... Go find some structure- piers or jetties for more action.
You have an excellent opportunity with inshore fishing along Perdido Key for redfish and trout using live bait or select artificials like UnFair Rip-n-Slash or I have heard the Matrix Shad soft plastics do well- lol
Live bait (bull minnows or live shrimp) can usually be found at J&M Tackle or Top Gun in Orange Beach, or Hooked Up Bait & Tackle in Gulf Shores.
But I think the most important piece of advice I can give is to go by Sams Stop n Shop and see Chris- for lots of useful information.

This is not a charter service or professional fishing group, we're just trying to have some fun!
Email- [email protected]
Website- www.badonskybuccaneers.com
FaceBook- www.facebook.com/badonskybuccaneers
Videos- www.youtube.com/aboutscubasteve
badonskybuccaneers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
Grouper

Tough conditions last weekend for surf fishing.

If you pull up google maps, etc. and look at sat images, you can see that the nearshore washouts and holes are usually associated with little bays and capes on the shoreline. The features change day to day but the association does not.

One other thing. I have two identical 11 foot surf rods. Bearing in mind that distance isn't always the answer, I can cast a single-drop pink fishbite rig a lot further than a double drop rig baited with shrimp using the same weight sinker.

Last edited by Joraca; 06-28-2017 at 10:35 AM.
Joraca is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2017, 02:59 PM   #4
VIP of the PFF
Grand Slam

The stain in the water is tannic acid that got flushed out of the swamps last week during all the flooding.
Old 06-30-2017, 09:43 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Good info thanks all!
beez is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in