Newbie Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Newbie Questions

I've been fishing flats for years, but just recently bought a couple true surf rods/reels and look forward to trying my luck. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking I'd like to load up the surf rods to go after bigger fish/sharks, and throw my regular spinning gear closer to the beach.

What "rig" should I tie to the end of the braided line on my surf rods? What size hooks? How many hooks? Bait? Weight size? Weight type?

Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Mingo

I typically do not try to target the "bigger" fish (depending on what type of fish of course), but I use 20-35 LB briad on a 30-50 Lb leader. Weight wise, it depends on how rough the water is. The rougher the current, its likely that your bait and weight will come a-shore. Personally, I use a conventional reel for much further cast versus a spinning surf rod. While you have others out there who "yaks" there line out to get it out further. I have used a hook targeting for pompanos, and still be able to hook and land an over sized red and black drum. So, it all depends what you are after...
emon550 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 09:04 PM   #3
Grouper

your weight depends soley on the surf that day+ the strength of the rod. the rig i use is hand tied. start with tying your desired weight straight onto your main line(this only works for the NON toothy critters) then make a large loop by tying a polamar knot about two foot up from the weight. go up about another 1 1/2 ft and repeat the knot. take whatever hooks you plan on using and tie them onto the two loops(use another polamar knot) that were made by tying the knots. you can put red or orange beads above the hook for a better chance with pomps but they are not neccisary. i have caught pompano,bull reds, whiting, and pinfish using this so it works. you can make it out of heavier line and use a barrel swivel to connect it to your main line if you are worried about it getting bit off. i like pyramid weights, small circle hooks or j's. i use a 9/0 senator and i yak out my bait for sharks but off of a surf rod i'd use about a three foot steel or wire leader, a 7/0 eagle claw circle hook, and a 3 oz. pyramid tied above the leader so it can slide. go with atleast a 50 lb leader for sharks and don't fish with a locked up drag. sometimes 6+ sharks come up close and they can and will pop most line if they can't run with a pick up. good luck and tight lines
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in