new penn VS older penn - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 02-05-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
Snapper

Default new penn VS older penn

looking to get some new reels with taxes, im looking at spending around $100. Ive been looking at the penn battle, penn fierce, and a penn 7500ss. never used any of them. any input? or any other suggestions. wanting atleast a 6000 size or bigger
missplaced_idahoan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

I've used all of the above. Go with the battle. Best spinner for the money
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
Snapper

Default penn

How does the Penn Sargus compare with the Penn Battle? is there a difference?
Wugitus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
Snapper

ive had a two friends that have had the sargus, and they both complained that it reeled the line up unevenly resulting in lots of knots and head aches, they are both pretty savvy fisherman so i dont think it was their fault. could be a double fluke tho who knows
Old 02-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Grouper

I think the order of newer Penn spinning is Battle>Sargus>Fierce. You get what you pay for. I don't know if the 7500ss is still for sale new anymore. I thought they replaced it with the 750ssm.
goheel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
OSOK
Blue Marlin

I have a Fierce 5000 that has performed flawlessly spooled with 30 lb braid

One Shot Fishing Charters, LLC.
Destin and Pensacola Deep Sea Fishing
www.oneshotcharters.com
https://www.facebook.com/OneShotFishingCharters
850-585-9436
sniperpeeps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by goheel View Post
I think the order of newer Penn spinning is Battle>Sargus>Fierce. You get what you pay for. I don't know if the 7500ss is still for sale new anymore. I thought they replaced it with the 750ssm.
yea i was looking at getting a rebuilt one or possibly a 750ssm, i was wondering because you see so many of the older penns for sale for top dollar and everywhere i go fishing around here people have the older penns but not to often do i see newer ones. just wondering if if there was something i didnt know
Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
Sailfish

The SSM and SSg reels ave actually been replaced by the new SSV spinfishers. They are a step above other models of the SS. They have an upgraded drag with HT100 material washers (same drag material that used to be in the internationals, been around a long time, proven to be superior) and a sealed gear box and drag system (rubber seals on top and bottom of the spool, as well as the sideplate, handle, and opposite handle nut). Top notch reels for the money in my opinion.
If you're looking to spend a tad less, the Battle is a phenomenal reel for the money. Same HT100 drag, but isn't fully sealed. No biggie if you treat your gear well and don't drag your stuff through sand and saltwater. I've landed a lot of big fish on even the 2000 and 3000 size battle. It's a bold statement to make, but I'd go out on a limb and say the Battle is the best reel for the money on the market today, and possibly among the best reels Penn has ever built for its price.
Wugitus, they are very similar reels, built on the same platform. The Battle gives you one more bearing, but more importantly has the HT100 drag (worth the extra $20).
nb&twil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:41 AM   #9
Mingo

You can check out the specs and compare them at http://pennreels.com/products/reels/spinning-reels. A 6000's features (drag, capacity, etc.) can be very different from reel to reel, and not much different than 5000s or 7000s, depending on the family.

As an earlier poster said, it's Fierce->Sargus->Battle->New Spinfisher from low to high end.

I have used all but the new Spinfisher, and liked them all for the way I used them. I agree the Battle is the best bang for the buck for offshore. I've got a 5000 that has 20 pounds of drag and holds plenty of braid. Great for mingo, snapper, scamp, not-too-big AJs (less than 50lb), and blackfin tuna.

I use the Fierce 3000 and 4000 for inshore, primarily sheepshead in the spring. Same for a Sargus 4000.
Fog Ducker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM   #10
Snapper

im leaning towards the battle, ill be mostly targeting reds, black drum and whatever else i could get off the beach/peirs, but if i get bored and throw a big bait out could the 6000, or 7000 handle a smaller shark or maybe a decent sized grouper? with some patience included of course

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in