New Member Fishing Gulf Shores August 5-11 - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Default New Member Fishing Gulf Shores August 5-11

There you have it. I'll be in Gulf Shores with my boy and would like to do some surf fishing. I have all the equipment, but don't know what will be best this time of year regarding rigs, bait and so on. I plan on doing mostly surf fishing. Heavy rig with live bait or cut bait sitting while throwing a spoon or something else. I have never done it before, but I am familiar with most of the rigs being used with bait. I know absolutely nothing about pier fishing or what piers are available, but it seems to me that this would just be a good place to get into someones way and make someone mad. Also, if we did catch something, I don't know how we'd get it to the pier landing. We're mostly interested in catching fish, but I don't want to spend my week pulling in 8 to 12" 'crapfish' cast after cast with no hope of catching something bigger and more exciting. I'd love to catch something we could eat as well. I just think that would make for a good first experience for my son. Anyway, I'm open to any and all suggestions. As I said before, I'm new to this forum and don't want to make anyone angry by asking stupid or redundant questions. I would appreciate any and all help you guys who know your stuff could provide me. Thank you in advance!
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 06:30 PM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

When you get into town, come talk to me here at our shop on canal road. I can get you set up and on the right path to catch "fish", not "crap".

Chirs Vecsey
Sam's Bait and Tackle
251-981-4245
27122 Canal Rd
Orange Beach, Al 36561
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #3
Aw hell.
Ruby Red Lip

When you fish from a pier, most guys use either a pier net or a pier gaff. A pier net is a decent-sized net with a round loop to hold it open. When you get a fish on you lower the net down, guide the fish overtop the net, nd then pull the net up with a rope. A pier gaff is a nice shark hook on the end of a rope. same concept...you guide the fish overtop the gaff and then give a good hard jerk. The fish gets hooked and you haul it up. Use a pier net for catch-and-release and a gaff when you want that sumbitch dead. Whn you get a fish on most other anlgers on the pier are more than accomodating. They'll usually pull up their lines while you work your fish and most will offer you help with the gaff/net. In return, it's expected that you do the same if they catch something.

Alot of guys fish a simple carolina rig. Bottom fishing tends to be better at night and you would use something like a 3-4oz pyramid weight. I've caught a few redfish in he surf around an hour after dark. the two hours following high tide seem to work best for me. If you're after spanish or kings, bright shiny silver lures retrieved quickly are the ticket. Rig your line with several feet of flourocarbon leader followed by 6-8" of thin wire leader to prevent the spanish/kings sharp teeth from cutting you off. Hooks in the 3 or 4/0 size work well. Live fish on a bottom rig are best with around 5' of leader and just as a personal preference I use flourocarbon because it basically disappears under water. 30# flouro is a good leader to use off the pier. Stay away from stainless hooks...they wont rust out and if you get broken off you want that hook to rust out quick. I've caught sea turtles and had to let them swim away with a hook in their mouths becase the point was embedded in the gumline and I'd do it more stress by yanking it out....if I had used stainless hooks I would've felt pretty bad, and Im guessing the turtle would've too. 20# powerpro will catch just about anything you want to catch excluding some larger sharks.
I woke to black flak and the nightmare fighters.
When I died they washed me out of the turret with a hose."
mxracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #4
Mingo

I'll 2nd V & MX, that's some good info!!
zaraspookin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 10:00 PM   #5
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaraspookin View Post
I'll 2nd V & MX, that's some good info!!
+1!! You guys might have scared that guy away with incredibly useful information all within the first two posts. I'll do my best to water it down with a little bit of mindless blithering now... Seriously, it would be a mistake not to go see Chris before you head out fishing.
Prince Caspian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 12:04 AM   #6
Ruby Red Lip

Not scared off. Chris, we'll definitely be by to see you. Thanks for all the great help and the warm welcome to the site.
animalspooker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in