New from Iowa. Orange Beach surf. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-17-2015, 12:24 AM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New from Iowa. Orange Beach surf.

Hey everyone! First post here, if it's not in the right place please forgive me.

Looking for some insight on some surf fishing! I'm a very avid fisherman from Iowa (mostly catfishing the rivers).

I will be taking a week vacation with my family to Orange Beach, July 11th-18th.

My main goal is to catch a shark. Haha. First time fishing salt and I want to aim big. I have caught flat heads and blue cats that were 50 - 70 lbs and want to aim high.

My reels I'm bringing are Penn 9500ss with 12 foot poles. I am in the process of purchasing braided line and all the gear I would need to "shark fish". basically starting from fresh here and need help as to what I would need. Color of line, bait, leaders, hook size, ect.

Can you keep sharks that you catch? I know nothing about salt water fishing but hey, if you ever make it up to Iowa and want to fish some big Blues and Flats, holler at me

Thanks for your time.

Dan
Danshakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 09:07 AM   #2
Squid technician
Grand Slam

Hey Dan, welcome to the forum.

If you get some time after check in, come stop by our store (Sam's) on canal rd in OB. I surf fish a good bit and can get you on the right track.
Saturday 9-9
Chris V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2015, 09:54 AM   #3
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Sounds like you have the right equipment. I use 300 yards of 80# braid topped off with 50# mono. No sure color makes any difference. The leader is the important thing here. You can go with single strand #19 piano wire or 7 strand wire. I use 360# 7 strand and single because I'm still new to it and haven't formed a preference yet.

Here's a link to the basic leader that I use.

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/shark...shing-leaders/

For hooks,I use a 16/0 cabelas catfish hook and I make my own weights like the one in the link. If you are casting, use a small bait like a lady fish head or half a hardtail, and a leader short enough to cast. If you are kayaking baits out a whole ladyfish, trout carcass, blue fish or just about anything will work and make your leaders longer. Mine are around 16' long 1/2 wire 1/2 weedeater line. Google is your friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2015, 09:58 AM   #4
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Oh, in Alabama shark fishing is illegal when it can endanger any swimmers. Don't do it during the day or around anyone wading.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris V View Post
Hey Dan, welcome to the forum.

If you get some time after check in, come stop by our store (Sam's) on canal rd in OB. I surf fish a good bit and can get you on the right track.
Thank you Chris. Our check in time is between 3pm and 5 pm on the 11th of July. How late are you guys open on Saturdays?

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
Sounds like you have the right equipment. I use 300 yards of 80# braid topped off with 50# mono. No sure color makes any difference. The leader is the important thing here. You can go with single strand #19 piano wire or 7 strand wire. I use 360# 7 strand and single because I'm still new to it and haven't formed a preference yet.

Here's a link to the basic leader that I use.

http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/shark...shing-leaders/

For hooks,I use a 16/0 cabelas catfish hook and I make my own weights like the one in the link. If you are casting, use a small bait like a lady fish head or half a hardtail, and a leader short enough to cast. If you are kayaking baits out a whole ladyfish, trout carcass, blue fish or just about anything will work and make your leaders longer. Mine are around 16' long 1/2 wire 1/2 weedeater line. Google is your friend.
John, thank you for the input. will be getting everything ordered tomorrow, been busy all weekend. Once again, Thank you for your help!
Danshakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015, 02:06 AM   #6
Freshwater Flounder
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
Oh, in Alabama shark fishing is illegal when it can endanger any swimmers. Don't do it during the day or around anyone wading.
How do they define "endanger swimmers?"

What if you were there first?

I've run into a couple of queries/complaints from beach-goers here in FL and had to tell them I had as much right to fish in the ocean as they had to swim in it .... esp when I'd been there since before dawn.

(I also recommended they not swim 'cause .. "there's lots of sharks out there .... BIG sharks!" )

Anyways .... if you like catfishing for big cats ... you're gonna love shark fishing! Just throw a big bait on those 9500's and tell 'em you're fishing for Pompano.

If you need music on the beach, you're missing the point.

Last edited by AndyS; 05-18-2015 at 02:08 AM.
AndyS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #7
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

From what I understand it's pretty much the call of the Wildlife officer. I called them and they said pretty much if anyone is in the water not to shark fish. If you can see them and they are in the water, you can't actively fish for sharks. Again, up to the officer. They said if you had an obvious shark leader on your line and a big bait, you were shark fishing. They do the same thing here in Arkansas when it comes to deer hunting. If you are in the woods with a gun legal for hunting deer, you're deer hunting.

If you put a smaller hook with no wire leader and just happened to catch a shark that would be legal. Sharks will eat pretty much what everything else will, with the exception of a sting ray. Only sharks will eat them.

http://www.alabamaadministrativecode...con_/220-3.pdf

Look at Page 77 of the document that the link opens.

Last edited by johnf; 05-18-2015 at 01:02 PM.
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in