New to Gotcha Plug - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Catchemall

Old 03-11-2019, 02:25 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to Gotcha Plug

Hi, new member here! Just heading down to fort Pickens/Pensacola area first week in May. This is roughly my 4th time visiting, actually was stationed at NAS there for 4 months and I want to step up my surf game (Spanish). I’ve been using drop rigs and had pretty decent amount of fish fishing the pass on station and Johnson’s beach, Fort Pickens.
My question is, I’ve picked up a couple of gotcha plugs 1oz white and 7/8 metal finish. I’ll be throwing a 7’ GTX with a 4000 Penn open face. Do I need to use mono or braid and what size? Do I need weight for this?

Any help would be appreciated, I can’t wait to spend a week fishing in one of the best spots in the US!!
UNCJohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2019, 09:53 PM   #2
Blue Marlin

Heavy mono leader or lighter wire leader. No you don't need any weight as the gotcha weights an 0z already. Lip ripping style retrieve

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
lettheairout is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2019, 08:35 AM   #3
White Marlin

Just remember this, there's a reason they're called "gotchas".
231 Proline WA (sold )
1902 Century Bay
14 Rogue Skiff
14 Big Jon Duck Boat
17 Pierre Marquette canoe
11 Ocean Kayak
H2OMARK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Trigger

Reel it fast and jig it, they wont hit it if you're fishing it like a bass lure! But as stated, watch out when it gets close in, don't pop it out of the water into your face! I just use a small swivel and about 12 inches of 30# mono leader or a short piece of wire if I am getting cut off. Main line of 10 or 12lb mono is plenty for spaniards.
Scouticus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2019, 05:14 PM   #5
Green Eggs And Ham
Grand Slam

The key is to throw it up current and by the time is is level with you it should be on or close to the bottom BEFORE you start to jig it up to the surface, fast jerky back and forth movement from the lure is what gets results. Spanish only go after fast action lures they get bored and turn off other wise..
Old 03-22-2019, 12:43 PM   #6
Snapper

I just can't get away with using mono leaders, big spanish slice through mine like sewing thread and I don't like throwing away 4 or 5 dollar lures so I use a short piece of #3 or 4 leader wire and can't tell any difference in number of strikes. Another tip is don't use a swivel on lures that don't spin, it's just another target for those razor sharp choppers.
parrothead and jack2 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in