New to the Forum and coming your way - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default New to the Forum and coming your way

Hello North Floridians. I am visiting your area from West Palm Beach (ASK KNOT on the Florida Sportsman Forum too) and was wondering if you could help me out.

We will be staying off Hollywood Dr in Destin the last week of May with 21 family members for a week long family reunion. With me will be 8 nephews and nieces (4-14y ears old) who love to fish with Uncle Jeff (thats me). I will be a block off the beach and will be lugging 3 surf rods each morning.

Our last reunion was in Ponte Vedre and we did the same. Fishing for pompano and whiting. In reading some of the posts it seems to be the usual suspects with a redfish and shark thrown in to test the tackle.

I use traditional pompano set ups with 2-3 droppers with a 1/O -3/O Kahle hook and sand fleas with a pyramid sinker 3-5 ounces depending on the conditions. Sand spikes and a small tackle bag with pliers is about all I carry (and a measure stick).

So to the questions...
Right set ups above?
Is that area fishable or too busy with tourists? (I get up early)
Are there sand fleas to catch on the beach?
Any other spots you recommend (no boat in tow)

Thanks to all who take the time to read and reply and looking forward to my first visit to Destin.
ask knot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #2
Snapper

All the gear sounds right, and i don't know about Destin but here in Pensacola the fleas are plentiful right now... Sunday you could scoop them up with you hands right in front of your rods...
Old 05-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #3
Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask knot View Post
So to the questions...
Right set ups above? Close. 1/0 is too big, IMO. I like a #2 kahle. Also, floro leader. 20lb.
Is that area fishable or too busy with tourists? (I get up early) You're good.
Are there sand fleas to catch on the beach? Yup.
Any other spots you recommend (no boat in tow) You'll catch fish there. Look for good cuts between the sandbars. Fish the "dark water." It's deeper.

Thanks to all who take the time to read and reply and looking forward to my first visit to Destin.
Hope that helps.

Old 05-04-2012, 06:26 AM   #4
Mingo

Good luck with the tourist. at that time of the year it doesn't take long for Destin's Beach's to get going in the mornings, Sometimes I think some of the tourist are thinking that the umbrella boys, have set those surf rods for their convenience as well, lol Good Luck & Good Fishin
zaraspookin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:37 PM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thank you all for replying. Looking forward to the trip.
ask knot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
Grouper

downsize your hooks a little, use floro,and when fishing destin beaches u will want to get out early establish your ground 3 rods is perfect most tourists tend to be drawn twords rods so expect to have to wave some away but if u are there first they cant make u leave. in return give them the same respect if u walk down there at 3 pm and see swimmers all over walk down east or west of them they dont hurt the fishing much and u will be surprised how intrested some are in it expect 100 questions lol with that said a good area to beach fish in the spring
weedline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in