Need Shark Fishing Advice/Critique - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Smile Need Shark Fishing Advice/Critique

So lately I've been getting into surf fishing but my main goal is to catch a big shark. I've been fishing almost all my life ( I'm 20 ) but never surf fishing. I've tried surf fishing myself 4 times now and I've caught no sharks. I've been using pre rigged ballyhoo from GB Bait and Tackle. I'm usually out at the 2nd parking lot past the Portifino Towers. I've been taking the baits out using a kayak. I have been taking the ballyhoo ( which are pre rigged and whole ) literally as far out as possible. I keep the pole on the beach and take the fish on the kayak. My friend signals to me when I am out of line and I then drop the fish. I put nothing else on the line like sinkers or anything. As you might imagine i'm REALLY far out there. I am usually out there from 2pm to 6 pm. Does anyone have any advice or see something I may be doing wrong? I really appreciate any help!!
sdswebking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
Grouper

ive been trying to shark fish but I haven't had much luck but you might want to keep some line on your reel. like atleast 150 yards. and ive never heard of ballyhoo as shark bait. that's usually used for trolling for kings, sailfish and stuff like that. you should try mullet or ray. or anything you can catch in the surf except catfish. ive read about people free lining bait and itll work but I(and so do many others on here) like to use the "mouse trap" system. you can google search it as im not very good at explaining stiuff.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #3
Grouper

and try to get there a little later and stay until after its dark. sharks tend not to feed in the middle of the day.
google search texas shark fishing and read the shark hand book on there.
foreverfishing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #4
White Marlin

Don't take it that far out!!! When a shark hits you will get spooled fast. I'd change baits to a lady,bonito, mullet, ray or anything bloody. Use a long steel leader with big circle hook.
southern yakker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in