Moving to Perdido Key- Questions - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 07-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #1
Cigar Minnow

Default Moving to Perdido Key- Questions

Hey all,

I'm moving down to Perdido (about 1.5 mi from the FL/AL line) Me and some guys are leasing a house right across the street from the beach and I was wondering if there is any decent surf fishing around that area/what I can catch in what season.

I've used my Dad's setups over the summers for years but I'm getting my own now. So the other question is what size reel would be the best option and the best way to work the braid or mono. I checked out the Penn Battle 5000 and it seemed like a pretty sweet reel, but I wasn't sure if I should go up a size or two and snag it on a 10 or 11' rod.

I'm interested in surf fishing for sharks too, but wasn't sure if I would need a yak to get everything out far enough.
Thanks for any suggestions
FlyNavy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Mingo

Just my $.02, the Penn Battle reels, are fine for surf fishin, good bang for the buc$... the 5000, is one of my favorites, might be a little light for sharks over 4 feet, I have caught many spec's, red's, ladys, blues, pomps & Spanish on mine, with no problems..When going for toothy critters, I'll typically use my 6000 w/11'... or when throwing heavy stuff from the sand, the 7000 w/12' works good for getting out over the 2nd bar with 4 to 6ozs and a big chunk of bait. as far as line, power pro 30# or 40# braid is my choice, with different top shots, just depending on whats happening at the time, there are a lot of good folks within the PFF, with great advise and good opinions,.. once again just my $.02..hope this helps a little. Good Luck, Good Fishin and most of all have Fun!!
zaraspookin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 PM   #3
Sailfish

I agree with zara...5000 is a great size for the surf. When I started surf fishing years ago, I went big. Just not necessary here. I've not fished the battle, but I'm a big fan of the 550 SSg. Shimano Sahara and Stradic are also good choices in that size range. Definitely want to invest in a couple of 10-12 foot rods. The last spinning surf rods I bought were Star 11' Ariels. Good bang for the buck. A close friend is still using them.

Welcome to the surf fishing fraternity. Don't hesitate to PM if I can help.

Pompano Joe

"I fish and talk about Jesus"

Check out my reel repair & custom shop on Facebook @ Pompano Joe's Reel Works
Pompano Joe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Snorkiller
Trigger

Shimano spheros 6000 is also a very versatile reel for the money. Star rods all the way, I love my new 8ft stellar and I haven't really felt the need for anything longer in the surf.
skram is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Cigar Minnow

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll let you all know what I go with and if I have any luck out my front door when I get down there in a few weeks. See you all soon!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:23 PM   #6
Cigar Minnow

Hey guys, ended up going with at Penn Battle 6000 and and a 10' Kunnan surf rod. I grabbed a Stradic FJ 3000 on sale too and put it on a 1-piece Tsunami rod.

I went out my front door yesterday and tossed out and was getting tons of annoying 4-8" cats. I ended up wading to the first sandbar and chunked it out and got a lady within 15 seconds. Any ideas or recommendations on what to throw out to try to get some Reds or anything edible at all???

I'm headed out to give my hand at Shark fishing tonight. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
Any ideas or recommendations on what to throw out to try to get some Reds or anything edible at all???
Throw out some cubes of those ladyfish on a fish finder and you may pick up some reds. One of my favorite methods of fishing is to get some greenbacks with a casting net and put em on a fish-finder rig. You can tear up spanish mackerel that way. Whiting are good eating too. Get a 3 hook pomp rig, cut shrimp into pinky-nail sized cubes, and fish in the first trough from the beach.
so_ill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 10:41 AM   #8
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by so_ill View Post
Throw out some cubes of those ladyfish on a fish finder and you may pick up some reds. One of my favorite methods of fishing is to get some greenbacks with a casting net and put em on a fish-finder rig. You can tear up spanish mackerel that way. Whiting are good eating too. Get a 3 hook pomp rig, cut shrimp into pinky-nail sized cubes, and fish in the first trough from the beach.
Thanks a bunch. I got my first pomp yesterday at Johnsons. I guess everything else will get better once some cool fronts start coming though. What kind of leader/size hook do you rig up on the fish finder for Spanish? Thanks for all the advice
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #9
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyNavy View Post
Thanks a bunch. I got my first pomp yesterday at Johnsons. I guess everything else will get better once some cool fronts start coming though. What kind of leader/size hook do you rig up on the fish finder for Spanish? Thanks for all the advice

No problem, it's the least I can do for a service member. Congrats on the pomp. For any type of fish finder rig I'm a huge fan of circle hooks, and when targeting Spanish I'll use anywhere from a size 4 all the way up to 3/0. As far as leader material I'd recommend a beefy flourocarbon (50#), or a light wire (I'd prefer about 10# but it's hard to find less than 20#), with preference to the flourocarbon because they can be picky. They have teeth like razors so they slice through mono and light flouro like it's nothing.
so_ill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-02-2012, 02:09 PM   #10
Snapper

^^^ as soon as the water temps get under 80 things will improve.

there are some bull reds out there but you gotta work for them.. live pinfish work.
stevesmi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
perdido, shark fishing, surf fishing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in