Missing runs on my newest surf setup. - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-24-2013, 01:01 PM   #1
Blue Marlin

Default Missing runs on my newest surf setup.

I recently have been using my new to me Penn Mag 980 on an 11ft Penn Prevail surf rod. The rod is Med-Heavy power with a med-fast action, 15-30lb line rating with a lure rating of 2-6oz.

I use the same two hook rig on this set up as all of my other setups. It could be just dumb luck but Im hooking up at best around 40% of the runs I am getting. My other setups probably have an 80%+ hook up rate at the very least.

I fish the reel in free spool with the clicker on.

My rigs are made out of 20lb fluro and size 1 light wire mutu offset circles. Again it could be just dumb luck but in all honesty Ive never missed so many fish surf fishing as I have with this set up.

Any input from you surf pros?
JD7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
White Marlin

Sounds to me like the clicker doesn't have enough pressure to turn the circle hook into the corner of the mouth and when you enguage the drag it pulls out. I would enguage the reel and loosen the drag a little and see if that helps or switch to kahl hooks.
Hopin4aboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
Blue Marlin

Perhaps but the clicker is pretty stout. Going by feel its very close to what I set my drags at on my spinners. I did attempt to keep the reel in gear and go with a lighter drag with the same results.

Also, the fish are gone by the time I get to the reel usually.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Pompano Fear Me!
Cigar Minnow

Atleast yur getting sum action....last time I went out the only thing I caught was a sunset....
N784a is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopin4aboat View Post
Sounds to me like the clicker doesn't have enough pressure to turn the circle hook into the corner of the mouth and when you enguage the drag it pulls out. I would enguage the reel and loosen the drag a little and see if that helps or switch to kahl hooks.
That's sounds like to me too.

I keep my drag relatively tight and use spider weights which bury up in the sand and hold very tight. I vary rarely miss any hook set using a 2 hook rig with the same hooks you are using. I think the tight drag and weight really help the hook set.
Linkovich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 07:10 AM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkovich View Post
That's sounds like to me too.

I keep my drag relatively tight and use spider weights which bury up in the sand and hold very tight. I vary rarely miss any hook set using a 2 hook rig with the same hooks you are using. I think the tight drag and weight really help the hook set.
I 2nd this, especially with mono and the longer casts you should be getting with that set up
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 04:39 PM   #7
Sailfish

Default Missing Fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcallaham View Post
I 2nd this, especially with mono and the longer casts you should be getting with that set up
I agree! The fish must have something to pull against to make the circle hook work!

Long casts? What's that?

This applies when I fish with bait! Jigs Rule! C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Blue Marlin

Im thinking the opposite actually given how tight the reel is with the clicker engaged. Also the rod doesnt give AT ALL. I will take yalls advice though and try it in gear and loosen the drag some.

The runs are short, like a second or two and then nothing, not long pulls that I loose when I start reeling them in. The fish are gone before I even get to the rod.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
Sailfish

Default Hooking Fish

Just a thought; but what size hooks are you using?

Also: What kind of bait and how are you hooking it?

If a fish doesn't have enough bite; it can do a lot of pulling without being hooked.

Little things; I'm sure, but they often mean fish or no fish. JMHO C2

Jigs Rule!
Charlie2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Blue Marlin

Im using size 1 light wire mutus. Same hooks that Ive been using the last couple of years with great success. Its been too cold for me to rake fleas so Im just using fresh dead shrimp. I hook them the same as I do on all of my other rigs.

Again it can be just plain dumb luck as Ive only used this set up about a half dozen times but in that limited amount of use there has been a very noticeable smaller hook up ratio. I guess I will just have to use it more but if the weather ever decides to warm up and the wind stop blowing its time I will be spending more time on my little plastic boat then on the beach!

I have noticed that instead of the rod bending and the drag pulling, when a fish hits it the rod just "pops" and bounces around in the sand spike, then there is maybe a second or two of the clicker going off then nothing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in