Lost at sea - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree2Likes

Old 04-16-2015, 05:59 AM   #1
Ruby Red Lip

Unhappy Lost at sea

Went out early on Pensacola Beach yesterday and had some luck, some good some bad! After one pompano and a couple of catfish I had just sat down after checking the baits and saw that my number 4 rod was not there. The sand spike was on the beach and the rod and reel nowhere in sight. I waded out and looked in the surf but no luck. If anyone finds a surf rod with a Penn 750 SS reel, you know where it came from. I don't think I had the drag set too hard, so I wonder what could have knocked it down and dragged it out so fast. Any ideas?
Breeze46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 07:19 AM   #2
Grouper

sting ray. I've had that happen to me twice. grab another rod and start casting and walking down the beach in the direction of the current you will snag the line of the lost rod fairly quick.They don't go that far.
jcallaham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
White Marlin

sorry to hear that I agree a ray. Hope you get it back but >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
White Marlin

Let me guess, PVC sand spike? Those don't hold near as well as the aluminum ones with a foot pad to push them deep into the sand. Bummer for sure.
69Viking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #5
Ruby Red Lip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Viking View Post
Let me guess, PVC sand spike? Those don't hold near as well as the aluminum ones with a foot pad to push them deep into the sand. Bummer for sure.
Yep, PVC. Where could one get an aluminum one?
Breeze46 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Snapper

Has happened to me twice. First time looked up and saw it skipping the waves out to sea. Next time it happened I ran after it and was able to jump on it. Started cranking it in but line broke, never saw what it was. Just last week I looked up from raking and pole laying in sand. Reeled it in and big ray. I try to remember to loosen my drag but learned the hard way
Sailor50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2015, 10:52 PM   #7
Cigar Minnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze46 View Post
Yep, PVC. Where could one get an aluminum one?
I made mine.

I got 4 + foot pieces of 1/8 x 1 1/2 inch aluminum L angle.

I cut the point back 4-5 inches to make a wicked point. (easy to get into really hard sand)

I put about 20 inches of 1 1/2 PVC at the top (off the end 6 inches or so) and either use SS hose clamps or the last ones I made with those great ol big strip ties.

I also heated the end of the pvc with a torch and used an old coke bottle to flare the end. And I drilled a hole at the bottom of the pvc and put an I bolt through it and the L angle. I did not make them adjustable but the long rods do not go all the way down to the reel.

They are pretty bad a** I should take some pictures of them. They cost less than $20 to make. I did go to a fab shop to get the aluminum. (way cheaper than Lowes) I made 5 spikes and I added 4 brackets to my CPI beach cart to hold the spikes just like rods. I should take some pics of that too.
The cheap aluminum ones will bend if your trying to put them into really hard sand

I don't have a $500 surf rod but I got a couple that are half that and with a reel you can get up there pretty quick. I ain't putting no surf rod of mine in a $6 pvc sand spike I bought at a convenience store.

These things work really good. They are a bit over engineered but they are fairly light and very durable. That is really hard sand there in TX.
Attached Thumbnails
Lost at sea-img_0473-jpg   Lost at sea-img_0474-jpg   Lost at sea-img_0475-jpg   Lost at sea-img_0426-jpg  

Last edited by DANTheJDMan; 04-20-2015 at 07:59 AM. Reason: Add pics
DANTheJDMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 09:04 AM   #8
Grand Slam

I've never had a problem with PVC rod holders. You just have to make them long enough to get them down in the sand a good ways and make sure your drag is loose.
welldoya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #9
*^* JaiBo *^*
Grand Slam

I just set the PVC as far down as I can, and loosen the drag a bit...never lost a set yet.

Philippians 1:21

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Jason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 12:22 PM   #10
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

My pvc is 5'. I put it down about 2' and my drag is only tight enough to keep the surf from pulling it out. I've had big whiting pull my drag. Just tighten it up when you get a fish on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in