Jetties - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 03-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #1
Trigger

Default Jetties

Thinking about heading out to the jetties tomorrow. Which side east or west? Also will i be able to catch on baitfish either with a cast net or sabiki rig? I have a sand flea rake so i can get those. Also will be carolina ringing be okay to pick up reds and pomp ect...?

Thanks

Tyler
Blazerz65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 08:23 PM   #2
White Marlin

Default Groundhog Day

Is it my imagination or is this EXACT same question coming up EVERY day now. (1) Please do a search on your subject....it's been covered; ad infinum (2) drive your boat to the pass and look around. The fact that every boat in Pensacola is on one side and in one place should be a hint (3) Support your local economy by hiring one of the local guides to take you out there for four hours or a delightful day and show you all the spots and technique (4) Minus all that, just get out there and get it the old college try. Experience is the best teacher. Good Luck.
panhandleslim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
Trigger

First, i used the serach button many of times and second i am from the shore not a boat. Don't critize when you do not know all the information.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:44 PM   #4
White Marlin

Default Apologies

If you are fishing from shore, your best bet is Ft. Pickens. Ft. McRae side is going to be a long walk. The Blazer threw me off. You will be fishing on bottom and you'll need to use a pompano rig or a light carolina rig...ideally both. Good luck.
Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #5
White Marlin

Default A Few More

Tyler,

Try this search: Jetties + sheepshead. That should get you there if you click-New Posts
Old 03-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Trigger

Thanks for the help also, i want to get the jetties tomorrow for sure. What bait can i use? Will sand fleas be okay or can i possibly catch some small fish and cut them for reds or black drum? How big of hook should i use for a carolina rig?
Old 03-23-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
Trigger

One more thing too. My carolina rig looks like a lead weight 2-4 ounces-bead- leader 18' steel then a hook.... is this okay?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
White Marlin

Default Two rods

If you can put together two rods, rig the one you have the Carolina rig up with flouro-carbon leader, at least 30 pound. At least a 6/0 hook. Use some fresh mullet on that one. Your sheepshead rod can be lighter and I've had best luck on pompano rigs with fresh shrimp or sand fleas. No more than 4/0 hook. If you can find calm water to the back of the point you can freeline live shrimp or put them under a cork. The wire leader is not going to cut it for sheepshead and the Carolina rig will be for Redfish. Check out the other people. Don't look too hard for jetties.....it's not like Destin or Orange Beach.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Trigger

well im fishing the destin jetties and where can i get the mullet from?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:38 PM   #10
White Marlin

Default Destin, FL?

Jezz, now you tell me Destin. Everybody says the East side is sanded in from dredge but that may not matter to sheepshead. Try the West side first. Mullet at any fish market. Sexton's on the north side of the main drag in Destin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in