How to make a Sand Flea Fly - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #1
Trigger

Default How to make a Sand Flea Fly

Hey ya’ll here’s one of my secret rigs you can make and use in the Surf. Pompano, Reds, and whiting love this fly. You’ll simply replace your hooks on your single or double drop rig with this fly, then bait it with shrimp, FISHBITES, or sand fleas. I’d love to see this fly used by you! It’d be an honor to my Uncle and Father since they are the inspiration behind it. enjoy!

https://youtu.be/l5OrsGt3voU
skram likes this.
SurfFishingMeister is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2018, 10:57 AM   #2
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
Sailfish

That's pretty interesting and seems to work, thanks for the video. But why do you call it Frank's Fly, I assume that's your name, But why not call it Bill's Fly, since he taught you how to make it? Maybe his last name is Frank? Just curious
CurDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2018, 11:33 PM   #3
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurDog View Post
That's pretty interesting and seems to work, thanks for the video. But why do you call it Frank's Fly, I assume that's your name, But why not call it Bill's Fly, since he taught you how to make it? Maybe his last name is Frank? Just curious
I honor both Captian Bill and my Father Frank with this fly! Frank’s favorite nut was Pistachios. So I named it after my father Frank.
wtbfishin' likes this.

Old 12-04-2018, 10:42 AM   #4
Grouper

Location: live in Baton Rouge but have a condo in Pensacola Beach

Great idea , thanks to you and of course your Dad ! Please re-post this on the fly fishing section , you could be missing a lot of people. Also, does the Franks Fly wobble on retrieve ? If so it could be a great redfish fly if dipped in a gold color.
lsucole is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
Mingo

that Pistachio was a great idea! I made a few variants of that "Frank's Fly" something to cast with the fly rod and not the surf rig. I need to get them wet, see what it can do. Thanks again!
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a Sand Flea Fly-dsc_0057-jpg  
Pier#r and skram like this.
wtbfishin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2018, 10:35 AM   #6
Trigger

That’s pretty cool work! You can retrieve it with a Carolina Rig. However, I usually use it stationary fishing and tip it with shrimp or a fish bite. You’ll have to expeirment with this as a pure fly fishing fly. I guess I am not fishing it in that way. It’s more like a teaser but Frank’s Teaser does not sound as good as Frank’s fly.
wtbfishin' likes this.
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM   #7
Snorkiller
Trigger

I never thought about using the pistachio shells. I have seen them with a fake fingernail. Here's one that I tied. Just a knock off of the Vhalos Marbled Sand Flea from Sandbar Flies. Caught some nice Redfish from in the surf with it. I'll have to try them as a teaser on my pomp rigs now also. Never thought of that!
Attached Thumbnails
How to make a Sand Flea Fly-img_6355-jpg   How to make a Sand Flea Fly-img_6357-jpg   How to make a Sand Flea Fly-img_5692-jpg   How to make a Sand Flea Fly-img_5700-jpg  
wtbfishin' likes this.
Old Today, 01:08 AM   #8
Trigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by skram View Post
I never thought about using the pistachio shells. I have seen them with a fake fingernail. Here's one that I tied. Just a knock off of the Vhalos Marbled Sand Flea from Sandbar Flies. Caught some nice Redfish from in the surf with it. I'll have to try them as a teaser on my pomp rigs now also. Never thought of that!
Wow!!!!!

Those are absolutely beautiful flies!!! Thank you for sharing. I would love to get into fly fishing from the surf. What I see here is true artwork indeed.

Those pistachio shells are perfect for a teaser. Let me know if you can tweak them all the more. I don’t know how to do that. The more realistic the teaser the better. I am a HUGE believer in the Plasti-dip coat. It helps the teaser last a long time.
Old Today, 01:11 AM   #9
Trigger

Also are you sight casting? Plus you know you could get in the record books for whiting because there has yet to be one recorded as caught from fly fishing. No one has yet, maybe you can be the first.
Old Today, 10:18 AM   #10
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfFishingMeister View Post
Also are you sight casting? Plus you know you could get in the record books for whiting because there has yet to be one recorded as caught from fly fishing. No one has yet, maybe you can be the first.

That's interesting, I have caught a few Whiting on the fly, (damn few) maybe 2.
wtbfishin' is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in