Grouper Bait - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Like Tree5Likes

Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM   #1
MILF - Man I Love Fishing
Grouper

Default Grouper Bait

After my last grouper post on here, a couple people asked me about the bait I use. Here is an explanation and a pic of the bait.

I originally caught some grouper using frozen cigs, but after a couple trips out, I started getting skunked. One day, I only had a few cigs left, so I caught some finger mullet this size. After a few hours of nothing using live finger mullet, my bait died because the batteries in my oxygenator died, so I did this to one and got a good hit within a few minutes. I eventually landed two grouper and ran out of bait over the next hour and a half. I've tried this with finger mullet, pin fish, croaker, spot, and Spanish sardines, but only the mullet is reliable. I've also used all of these fish without cutting them up, and again, the cut mullet is by far the best. I SWEAR to you, this works. If you find a spot with grouper, and you throw these at them, you'll get blown up. Ask Sawyer (ThaFish), Mitch (XxReel_FisherxX), and Johnny what happened to the mullet when the grouper came through last time we went out. They didn't touch anything else.

I use a 5/0 Eagle Claw Razor Sharp hook (dark grey or red), and 80# fluoro leader, 50# Power Pro, and I crank the drag down.

I use the hook to rip the fish up but simply pushing the hook through the belly and ripping it out. I do the same thing for the throat. I hook it through the back right around the pec fins.

I hope this helps anyone who tries this. Let me know if you have any other questions.

-William
Attached Thumbnails
Grouper Bait-image-jpg  
WAReilly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
White Marlin

thks for the info now where to go??
submariner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
I grouper hole.
ThaFish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Jiggin Finatic
Grand Slam

Quote:
Originally Posted by submariner View Post
Your favorite Grouper reef of course.
II Chronicles 7:14
if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

lobsterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #5
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

Oh, youre going grouper fishing in the bay...I was thinking you were using that set up offshore dropping down a live ruby lips or something. Now that I know that, I really want to see you offshore with that set up. That would be fun! My back hurts thinking about it! And thanks for the info, now I just lack a bay grouper hole...
Randall2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall2point0 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Oh, youre going grouper fishing in the bay...I was thinking you were using that set up offshore dropping down a live ruby lips or something. Now that I know that, I really want to see you offshore with that set up. That would be fun! My back hurts thinking about it! And thanks for the info, now I just lack a bay grouper hole...
Oh no! That would be absolute suicide for my Stradic. I thought about trying it for some mingos. I think that would be fun, but I know I would get absolutely raped every now and then.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #7
Sailfish

Wirelessly posted

Thats what happend to me on a 4/0, drag was locked down and it still took me back to his hole and wrapped me up on the bottom. Thought I was going to break the rod for a bit.. Good times.
Randall2point0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
Grouper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall2point0 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Thats what happend to me on a 4/0, drag was locked down and it still took me back to his hole and wrapped me up on the bottom. Thought I was going to break the rod for a bit.. Good times.
I bet that was a nice grouper. I want to go out and catch a 50 pounder out there. I bet it's a great fight! I really want to test my Talica 20!
Old 10-26-2014, 01:42 PM   #9
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAReilly View Post
I really want to test my Talica 20!
Let me throw 20' of 400 lb. mono, 3' of #12 single strand, a 15/0 Mustad, & a nice chunk of fresh ray on your Talica & yak it out for you at the grouper spot we fish. I think you'll be able to test her out pretty quick.
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2014, 01:44 PM   #10
I'd Love to Catch a
White Marlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAReilly View Post
I SWEAR to you, this works. If you find a spot with grouper, and you throw these at them, you'll get blown up. Ask Sawyer (ThaFish), Mitch (XxReel_FisherxX), and Johnny what happened to the mullet when the grouper came through last time we went out. They didn't touch anything else.
This man speaks the truth! But for real, I was skeptical about "ruining" what seemed like a perfect bait (live finger mullet) at first, but William showed me the way. This is the only way to bait up for grouper in the bay!
ThaFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in