Ft Morgan mid May Surf Fishing - Pensacola Fishing Forum

Go Back   Pensacola Fishing Forum > Inshore Fishing / Surf Fishing > Surf Fishing - General Q & A

Old 05-07-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
Mingo

Default Ft Morgan mid May Surf Fishing

Hey guys, I'm headed to Ft Morgan area mid May (18-22) and am prepping for the trip. We have a condo around mile marker 7 so I shouldn't have much competition on the beach as far as tourist go.
I'll be taking two rods. I plan on fishing morning and evenings each day (4). I'd like to try my hand at some shark fishing at night...and whatever bites in the morning.
Last year, I had studie the "read the surf" threads, and hope to better apply those this year. Probably need a refresh. I also tried to find sand fleas...found none! I ended up using cut mullet, shrimp and squid.
This year, I've got a few artificial baits I'll be trying.

I'm just looking for pointers on bait type, retrieve methods and general conversation about preparing with the right gear and presentation.

On the shark prep, I'm trying to get some line this week to spool. I was thinking of using 60-80lb braid...but am reading that I also need a shock leader of 200lb line 10[ or so? I've heard this is a pain to tie to braid...what am I getting into here?

Looking forward to the trip!

Last edited by squirrel; 05-07-2012 at 10:47 AM.
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
Blowhard extrordinair
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel View Post
Hey guys, I'm headed to Ft Morgan area mid May (18-22) and am prepping for the trip. We have a condo around mile marker 7 so I shouldn't have much competition on the beach as far as tourist go.
I'll be taking two rods. I plan on fishing morning and evenings each day (4). I'd like to try my hand at some shark fishing at night...and whatever bites in the morning.
Last year, I had studie the "read the surf" threads, and hope to better apply those this year. Probably need a refresh. I also tried to find sand fleas...found none! I ended up using cut mullet, shrimp and squid.
This year, I've got a few artificial baits I'll be trying.

I'm just looking for pointers on bait type, retrieve methods and general conversation about preparing with the right gear and presentation.

On the shark prep, I'm trying to get some line this week to spool. I was thinking of using 60-80lb braid...but am reading that I also need a shock leader of 200lb line 10[ or so? I've heard this is a pain to tie to braid...what am I getting into here?

Looking forward to the trip!
Why not tie into a swivel?
johnf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Mingo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnf View Post
Why not tie into a swivel?
Sounds reasonable. I'm headed to Bass Pro today. What size should I be looking at? What knots do you use to tie mono and braid to the swivel?

Old 05-09-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
Mingo

How would you guys spool a Penn Torque 9 for big fish? I'm thinking 50# braid straight to a 6-8' steel leader?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pensacola Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
How Did You Find Us?
Tell us how you heard about Pensacola Fishing Forum.

Log-in